Chapter Seven

On Monday morning, I headed over to Anthony's place.  That's what I liked about summer; you had time to spend with friends on weekdays. I felt horrible about having to cancel on him the other day, so I took the first possible opportunity to see him and Jen. Halfway out of guilt and halfway out of generosity, I brought over a basket of chocolate and other candies. I decided to walk again because he does not live very far.

I rang the doorbell and his mother answered. To be honest, I'm not very keen on her, but I'm of course, respectful regardless. The thing that bugged me most about Ms. Jacobs was the fact that she was always poking about in other people's business. Once, she had asked me when I was going to get a boyfriend, as if it was something that needed to happen that minute, as if having a boyfriend was especially essential. Also, she wore an awful lot of makeup which is fine, but it never  flatters her. Nevertheless,  she'll stand  there and criticize my makeup technique all day everyday like she was an expert in the craft. She'd say things like, "Maybe if you drug your eyeliner out a bit more you wouldn't look so tired, just my observation though." And "You should consider a different shade of lipstick, but that's just my opinion." I felt as though she thinks that if she makes such statements, but expresses that it was only "her opinion," it would wash away any insulting remark she may have made or will make in the future. She bugged me.

As expected, her and I spent a few minutes stumbling over pointless conversation,  Finally, she said, "Anthony and Jen are in the back room, doll."

I thanked her and went back there promptly. I didn't want her to strike up more conversation. I knocked on the door before entering. They were just on the bed playing what looked to be a very intense game of Go Fish. Sometimes, they were such kids.

"Hey, you guys!" I greeted with the basket extended out. "Consider this as a second apology."

Anthony took it gladly and offered me a spot on the bed after. I felt like I was just granted access to a secret club and the basket had been my ticket in.

"So, who's winning?" I asked, referring to the game happening in front of me.

Anthony rolled his eyes and Jen revealed she was in the lead. I congratulated her and offered Anthony my help. It was now two against one.

"So, I heard you got a new lead regarding the attack." Anthony stated, frustratingly pulling out a card and handing it to Jen.

I was momentarily confused, but then I figured he must've been talking about when Kane contacted my house using the same, tiresome detective charade. I couldn't get my two best friends wrapped up in this mess. So, I replied casually.

"Um yeah, I guess you could say that. Jen do you have a three?"

She pursed her lips. "Yes."

"Yeah, your mom told my mom." Anthony explained as he received the card from Jen.

"So, what did they say?" Jen piped up and then to Anthony, "do you have any sevens?" Anthony shook his head.

"They said they'd have to meet with me to check the accuracy of the lead. They don't want to excite me unless they feel like they can act on it."

Part of that was true; Kane did want to meet with me again. I shuddered internally. I couldn't wait until this nonsense was over. As they asked more questions, I tried to keep my answers as vague as possible. I didn't think it would be smart to intertwine them with Kane's antics, especially with Kane out to get Anthony.

"That's exciting!" Jen exclaimed, "Aren't you thrilled?"

I wanted to say I wasn't. I wanted to tell them I was scared. I want to tell them how crazy these last few nights had been. I yearned for their support. I craved backup. I needed it. It was on the tip of my tongue, but I failed to deliver.

"Yes. I can't wait until justice is served." I said simply.

My mouth became dry because I hated lying to my best friends, so I asked for a cup of water. I sipped my water as we talked about old times. Later on, after we had finished an entire pizza for dinner, my phone rang so I excused myself.

"You're not grounded anymore!" JJ exclaimed into the phone.

"I am not." I confirmed with a little laugh.

"So, what do you say about going to the movies Friday night?" He suggested, "I heard there's this really cheesy romantic comedy out."

"No," I dismissed. "I don't really like romance, but I could go for a straight up dumb comedy."

"Okay! I'm not really much of a fan of romance either." He admitted. "I just thought girls liked romantic movies."

"Well that's quite stereotypical." I pointed out. "FYI, It's not like I am against romance, I just think the movies are sort of corny and predictable."

"Maybe you should lead a protest. You seem pretty passionate." He joked, laughter echoing through the phone.

"Maybe I will. I got to go. See you Friday."

But it's not a date. I texted him after.

Of COURSE not. He replied in a matter of seconds, but it was like I could feel his sarcasm transfer through the screen.

I headed back into the room and was surprised to see Anthony and Jen fast asleep. I stifled a laugh and gathered my things quietly. It had been a really good day. I regretted not saying goodbye, but neither of them were rays of sunshine when they got woken up. I let them sleep, they'd understand. Ms. Jacobs  begged me to stay, but I told her I better not. I had to be up early the next day. She was disappointed, but then soon distracted by lipstick reapplication. I thanked her for letting me over and headed out the front door.

It was a quiet night. The crickets chirped and a family was out roasting marshmallows, but other than that, virtually no one was out. I walked slowly and allowed myself to appreciate nature's night life. The trees waved in light breeze that had come with the late evening. I let the streetlamps by my guide as they illuminated the sidewalk before me.  I approached my street and saw Austin out front. I walked over to him but he was deep in thought and didn't notice me.

"What are you thinking about?" I asked.

"Oh hi Natalie," he greeted, "Do you ever look at the stars and feel as though each of them has their own story?"

I drew my eyebrows together. He laughed. "I guess that does sound a little weird."

"No, it doesn't. I just haven't been asked a question like that before. Let me think... I guess I'd say they do, why?"

"Because maybe stars are more than just stars. I feel like they might be angels or something. Maybe their size reflects how far they got in life. The biggest ones lived a full life while the smallest barely got to live."

Austin's musing was interesting, but very somber.

"Maybe that's why the smallest stars shine the brightest."   I suggested, giving him a smile.

"Maybe... maybe."  Austin agreed, putting his arm around me. "Let's go inside."

As we headed into the house, I looked up at the night sky just one more time. I pinpointed the smallest star and watched it twinkle proudly. A cloud floated over it but I could still see the shine. It provoked me to relate the fact that even if a person is polluted with a bunch of bullcrap from their past, it in no way dims their shine. I closed the door and when I drifted off to sleep, the analogy was still glued to my mind.