Chapter Four

"You sure you don't want me to go in with you?" My brother asked for the second time.
I shook my head, climbed out of the car, and headed into the hospital where my first of many check ups would take place.
I hadn't seen the lobby for months, yet it looked exactly how I had left it. Places like these never change, I guess.
After signing myself in, I was led through a long hall of rooms until the nurse stopped in front of one. She took me inside. I sat there and waited for the doctor.
"Car Crash." A boy's irritated voice sounded from across the way.
He must be talking to the doctor. I mused, I give him credit. I often feel aggravated by some of what doctors have to say, yet I never have the nerve to do anything about it.
I feel that is true in almost all aspects of my life. Austin never handled things this way, and neither did Melissa. I wondered why I did.
"Hey, hello can you hear me?" I heard the voice again.
It must be an old doctor.
"Yoo-whoo."
I had to get a look at this guy. He was too entertaining. I looked across the way to where I believed the voice was coming from and saw that the boy was already looking at me.
"Finally!" He exclaimed in relief. "I've never had to work so hard to get a girl's attention before."
Great, so he's one of THOSE guys. Whatever, I'll humor him. Before I could respond, he was talking again. While most people would consider this rude, I kind of like it. It gives the other person less room to talk which I very much appreciated. I wasn't in the mood to talk much at the moment.
He went on to tell me why he was admitted. He had been a car crash, which was what he tried telling me earlier, with his brother Robert. They'd both been hurt when a reckless and drunk driver flew around the corner. Luckily, he and his brother got out with minor injuries; however, since the boy's injuries claimed to be more severe, the doctors wanted him to have checkups just like me.
"I'm JJ by the way. JJ Reed."
"I'm Natalie," I said, Natalie Coleman."
He extended his hand out the door and I air shook it.
"So, what brings you here?" JJ asked so casually it was humorous.
"Um, well I don't know." I answered.
He threw his head back in laughter. "I guess I already know one thing about you. You are a horrible liar. Come on, Natalie! You have to have a clue. Is it something gross? Are you trying to be nice and spare me the gory details? I'm hardly sensitive, so you do not have to worry about that. Go on, do tell."
He was on the edge of his seat as if watching a full blown action movie. Again, I was struck at his casualness. It was funny.
"I'm sorry to disappoint," I started, "but that is the truth. Two months ago, my house was broken into and I was shot. All the wounds from the assault are healed, but after being asleep in the hospital for awhile, I woke up with amnesia, sort of. I had a hard time remembering what had placed me there until my memory slowly returned again. Since there was no physical damage to my brain, the doctors were puzzled. They still are," I informed, "they still have no idea what caused it. So, to be on the safe side, they recommended I go in for checkups in case some diagnosis is able to be made. So, here I am."
I felt like I just told this guy my life story. He probably wasn't even that interested. When I looked at the boy, though, he wore a dull expression on his face and his green eyes appeared sort of cloudy.
"Did they catch the perpetrators who attacked you? " He asked with touch of genuine concern in his voice.
I shook my head. "No, they were really clever about the whole thing. I don't believe the investigators have gotten any leads so far. I'm starting to think our chances of catching them in time are becoming very slim."
My thoughts went back to the mysterious guy in the trench coat. He had said he could help me find them. But how could I trust him? Besides, even if I did trust what he said to be true, how would I know where to find him? He had just vanished.
"Justice is justice, right? If it comes a week from now, two months from now, five years from now, they still pay. The only difference is when they pay and if you ask me, I'd think it becomes more miserable when you're older. You have more of a life, more things to leave behind." JJ explained.
"You're so optimistic." I noted.
"Why not? I prefer to live that way. I prefer to believe in good karma." Again, he said this in the most casual and confident way. I don't think I've ever met anyone like him; someone so sure about life. He was beginning to change my outlook and, unbelievably, in some small way, this stranger was giving me a little hope. Hope was something I hadn't had in a long time.
I started to tell JJ this, but as I was about to, a doctor strolled in my room and closed the door.
I'd have to tell him next time.
Before the door shut completely closed, I said, "I guess I'll be seeing you around, JJ Reed."
I wasn't sure if he had heard me, but when he chuckled again, I knew he had, crystal clear