Chapter 10

The week before school started

Sam told Mercedes that he wouldn't be able to see her the last week of summer, because he made a deal with his parents. He told them that if they let him buy what he needed for school, he would take care of Stevie and Stacy for school also. His mom and dad were proud of Sam for taking care of his sister and brother. They said yes, freeing them up to take care of necessities. 

He worked even harder during double shifts. When he got his paycheck, at the end of the week, he had the list his mom gave him and his siblings while his parents were at work. He dialed a number, hoping that the person he was calling, would be there. "Hello?" A voice greeted into the phone. "Kurt? It's Sam. Are you and Blaine busy?" He asked looking at his sister and brother.

Blaine, Kurt, Sam, Stacy, and Stevie walked around the mall before they hit the best stores with the best sales. Kurt and Blaine helped the three siblings out, getting what they all needed. They even found a store that sold school supplies. They grabbed book bags, notebooks, and other stuff. 

Once finished, they were in the food court getting treated by Blaine as Kurt and Sam brought up the rear before heading to the nearest, empty table. "Now we can finally talk." Kurt began to say to Sam when they sat down with their trays of food. "Why did you call for us and not Mercedes? After all she is your girlfriend." He said with a smile. Blaine,Stacy, and Stevie began to eat while Sam leaned in close to Kurt.

"Because I want to surprise her on our first day back." Sam told Kurt  with a serious expression. Kurt hadn't seen his friend look like that since it was found out what happened to his family. "With what?" Kurt asked. "A new look. More like a new haircut, but the cheapest I can get was twenty-two dollars before tax. And I needed to get Stacy and Stevie so much that I'm short." 

Kurt rolled his eyes playfully. "Oh, please! Is that all." Kurt said before he began to eat. "After we eat, the five of us will go back to my house. I will cut your hair myself while we teach you three how to mix and match your new clothes with the old ones. Making more outfits for the school year." Sam smiled before frowning at what Kurt said. "Wait. You know how to cut hair?"Sam asked in surprise. "Yeah. I do." Kurt told him before he took a bite of his food. "Trust me. You'll look great!" He reassured Sam while the five of them ate and talked about the first day of school.

Two hours later, they all sat in Kurt's room as he and Blaine went through the basics about the clothes. Finn, Carol, and Burt all checked in and said hello to the Evans' kids before Blaine took Stacy and Stevie downstairs to have a snack while Kurt came back in with the clippers and a pair of hair shears. "Ready?" He asked as Sam slowly nodded. Kurt stood in front of the chair as Sam sat in front of the mirror. "What do you want?" Kurt asked. Sam looked at his reflection before looking up at Kurt to speak. "To take Cedes' breath away." Sam said with a smile.

The first day of school Kurt picked up Sam once he got his sister and brother on their school bus. "Thanks." He simply said after climbing in. "No, problem." Kurt said. "I want to be there when she sees you. We now have two glee club meetings a day. First thing in the morning and in the afternoon. So, I can't wait." Kurt said giddy as he danced in his seat. Sam laughed as he tried to shake the nervousness. He flipped the mirror down on the passenger side to look at his haircut. He ran a hand through his freshly cut  sandy blonde hair before  sighing.

Deep inside, he wished it was over already. That way if she laughs he can just face it head on. Before he knew it, they were at school. Kurt parked his car and they got out and headed inside the school. Sam headed for the cafeteria to get a quick bite. He silently thanked above that he and his siblings got free lunch and breakfast. As he ate, he stared at his schedule and saw that he had two glee club meetings like Kurt said and football practice after school. In between that, his classes.  After football practice, he had work. He sighed, wondering how in the world will he make it this year and graduate. "That's if I graduate." He mumbled as he felt someone was staring at him. He looked up and noticed some junior Cheerios giving him the eye. He gave a slight wave as they waved back.