•chapter six•

{unedited}

my stomach erupted in butterflies as his hand found its way to my cheek and he nodded before leaning in the rest of the way, our lips connecting softly. it was a good kiss, not like most of the other ones i've had, they've always felt so forced, like it wasn't important and i didn't actually like the person that way. like i did it more so for the fact that i could say i kissed someone. this one was different, something in me knew that this was real, it wasn't just a kiss.

after a moment we pulled away, i blushed and looked down at my hands in my lap while i caught my breath. "so umm, you can probably guess, but- uh, i like you. a- a lot." he said, stuttering as he tried to figure out exactly how to word it.

"well lucky for you, mr. jacobs, i happen to like you back." i smiled as his hand made its way into mine.

we sat there for a little longer, smiling like idiots, hand in hand looking over the city. when we left it was quiet, but it was a good silence. it was an understanding. he looked over at me after he pulled up to the curb in front of his house.

"so... what does this mean for us?" i asked.

"well, i like you. you like me. i can take you out on a real date sometime soon and we can talk more about it then. but i think we have everything we need right now. i don't want to rush into anything and mess anything up." i nodded, agreeing with him.

"thank you for tonight. i had a lot of fun." i kissed his cheek and got out of the car. i saw him blush a little before he too got out of the car and went into his house.

after filling in my parents on a minimal amount of the details from the night i headed upstairs to get ready for bed and to call claire to tell her what happened. the phone only rang for a few seconds before she picked up awaiting details.

"okay so the night kinda took a turn and i may or may not have kinda gone on a date with someone else instead..."

"who?" i blushed a little before answering. "omg wait... seriously who is it your blushing you must actually like them!"

"umm it was karl..."

"see! i've told you that you liked him! i knew it!"

"i also may or may not have kissed him while watching the lights in the city from the top of the hill."

"you two were literally made for each other! please, can i be your maid of honor at your wedding?"

"claire seriously, we're taking it slow. we're not like together yet, but we're going out again sometime this week."

a little over an hour and a lot of squeals from claire later, we hung up to go to bed. sadly we had school in the morning but i looked forward to it knowing that i would get to see karl.

the next morning i woke up to my alarm for probably the first time ever, i just felt so giddy. my parents noticed something was up too when they came downstairs and i was eating breakfast before 6 a.m. they didn't say much, but the confusion on their faces said a lot. i went back upstairs to finish getting ready and not much later i saw karl walk out of his house through my window. i grabbed my bag and walked out the front door to meet him.

"hi, how's it going?" i said as i sat down, a big grin plastered on my face.

"i, am doing quite well today." he smiled back at me and then pulled away from the curb. the ride was as uneventful as it always was. at least until we pulled up to the school and he asked about the date that he was planning.

"so... i was thinking that tonight i could pick you up at 6, and we could go get dinner and then see a movie after?"

"that sounds perfect, should i dress up a little for dinner?"

"perhaps a tad."

i laughed and began to get out of the car, he followed and we walked into school together. i saw nick and claire give us looks as we walked in so it was pretty obvious to both of us that we had told them.

"okay? any new news? i've been telling you guys to go out for years and you finally are and you're keeping me in the dark!" claire whined as i laughed at her.

"dinner and a movie. that's it okay?"

"okay but that's romantic. you guys are going to make out in the theater, i'm calling it now."

"shut up! we will not!" i started walking away before she could argue with me but she was close behind making bets about how the night would go and what we would do. eventually we had to go to our separate classes so i didn't have to listen to her advice on how to make another move on him.

the school day finally ended after i don't even know how many classes and i walked out the front of the building looking for claire. i looked over and saw her, but before i could walk over to her she had walked up to karl and appeared to be lecturing him. he looked a bit scared. so i walked over, grabbing claire's shoulder.

"oh hey cass!" she exclaimed, completely ignoring the fact that she was most definitely threatening karl in a joking but only semi joking way.

"hey claire, umm what's going on?"

"we were just having a conversation about your date and what your gonna do tonight." she looked over at karl.

"yeah, umm cass you ready to go? i wanna make sure you have time to get ready for tonight..." he seemed really nervous, it was cute.

i nodded, then looked back at claire. "stop threatening him geez, manz is just trying to have a good time."

claire laughed, and then began walking the opposite way towards her moms car while i turned back toward karl. "lead the way, mr. jacobs."

we walked side by side into the parking lot and over to his car, i could tell that something was bothering him.

"hey, dude are you alright? because your like really quiet and i know claire can be scary and stuff but she wasn't being serious, well at least not compl-"

he cut me off, "do you think i'll end up hurting you?" he looked worried.

"what? no! what do you mean?"

"i don't wanna accidentally do something and mess up our friendship or anything. i don't want to know that we threw away 11 years of being friends over something stupid that i did because i wasn't thinking or because it didn't turn out the way we planned." the silence in the car was so thick that you could cut it with a knife.

"what do you mean? like you'll cheat on me?" i asked quietly after a moment had passed.

"no, i would never cheat on you or anyone. that's a dick move. but like what if it turns out that we have to move away from each other and we don't see each other anymore? what if i say something as a joke that really hits a nerve with you and i don't mean it but it really hurts your feelings? or what if we get in a fight over something? i don't wanna be the reason you're upset..."

"what did claire say?"

he put two of his fingers up in air quotes. "if you hurt her so help me god your knee caps won't be there when you wake up in the morning..."

i felt bad about it because he was obviously worried but i giggled a little bit. "dude it's claire, you know her. she wouldn't actually hurt you, and she knows you wouldn't hurt me. i'm telling you, your not gonna hurt me. she's just playing the overprotective best friend card, it's a joke trust me."

he looked slightly relieved, but still not completely fine. we drove home, listening to music and just vibing together. everything just felt better with him here.

everything felt right.

{word count: 1406 words}

a/n: hey! sorry that i haven't updated in a few days, school just started and it's kicking my ass already. i'm trying to update as often as i can and i'm working on writing some more chapters ahead of time so i can get them out faster. thanks for reading though and i hope that you're enjoying! have a good day or night or whatever it is for you when you're reading this lol.

~homie <3