•chapter five•

{edited}

i nodded slowly as i looked up at him. he looked shocked.

"i don't wanna be mean, but obviously i was drunk and not in the right headspace to be giving out my number or making out with people i barely know." i chuckled lightly trying to lighten the mood a bit as i realized he seemed very uncomfortable.

"what did he even say?" he asked after thinking for a moment.

"he asked me out on a date tonight. he said movies at 7:30." i shook my head and hid my face in my hands again. i mean i barely know they guy and i don't wanna be mean and tell him no, but i also don't really wanna go on a date with him.

"are you gonna say yes?" karl asks quietly, looking down at the table, avoiding eye contact with me.

"ummm... maybe." after thinking for a moment, i nodded slowly. "i'm agreeing to one date and that's it. one movie. i don't like him like that but i really don't wanna be mean." i quickly grabbed my phone and texted him back.

by the time we got back to our houses it was about 11:30 and karl had to go home so that he could get ready for his stream. i called elaina so that she could help me, because i already knew exactly what claire would say. "oh honey just go out with him i mean you've already been closer with him than any guy you've seriously liked before." i mean yeah, but that's one of the things that claire and i didn't exactly see eye to eye on.

the phone rang a few times before i saw elainas face come into view. she rubbed her eyes and sat up a little. shit. i just woke her up.

"hello?" she asked as she looked back at me through the screen.

"oh! i'm sorry i didn't realize you were still gonna be sleeping! i can call you back later-" my thumb hovered over the end call button as i spoke, but before i could hang up, she interrupted me.

"no it's fine, what do you need?"

"umm... well i just got asked out by connor and i don't know what to do." i said really fast, my face scrunched up as i finished speaking.

"what did you say?"

"i said yes cuz i didn't want to be mean! but like i don't really wanna go, you know!"

he eyes studied my expression intently as i sat there chewing my lip. "so you don't like him? either you absolutely hate him which i doubt based on the fact that last time he was mentioned to you, you had no clue who he was. or you like someone else and don't want to seem like you're dating him."

"it's neither of those things, i just don't know him and i feel weird going out with him."

she hummed, not looking convinced. "what did karl say about it?"

"he didn't really say anything, it was early this morning and we were both tired so we weren't talking much." i felt my face grow a little warmer when she brought karl up and i could tell that she noticed.

"here's my advice then: be nice but not too nice so it comes off as flirting, if he leans in for a kiss, either hug him or move out of the way, and tell him that you're not sure a relationship would work between you two. tell him that you want to get to know him more but not in a romantic way at the moment if you need to."