1

3rd Person

Sirens here and there. The sounds of overwhelming emergency. Rush hours, dreaded lifelines. That was all there is that she could see.

A woman who was forced in the world of medicine but even to her surprise she excelled in the field that she had pursue. 

She must admit that being a doctor was not a choice personally made by her instead it was a choice forced upon her. 

Being a member of the Kim's household who upheld high positions in the society especially in different professional sector it was what was expected of her, to walk the path that her parents had. Assuming that she would one day take over.

But that was far from she would like to do in life. She indeed has nothing against people who put everything in line to save others, in fact she admires them.

The only thing that is wrong is that it is not a field of profession she is passionate about.

Ever since she was young, drawing dresses that symbolizes a person's mood or that of what a person would want to say through what they wear is what she would want to do.

That was why she was excited in going to college. But the damn career plan in senior year had thrown her over. When her parents knew she was pursuing a field that is different from theirs, all threats were throw her way. She was willing to let everything go but when they threatened her about her sister, she knew she had no way out.

Jisoo, Jennie's older sister who was now enjoying her time travelling around the world, would have been forced to return to Korea if Jennie was not cooperative. 

Jennie knew what her sister had sacrificed for her to enjoy her elementary and high school life. Though she only secretly discovered it after an argument she had overheard that her sister and parents had. She did not know that Jisoo was forced to take medicine even if she wanted to be a developer to allow Jennie to be left alone by their protruding parents. But now they want Jisoo to finally take over, and her sister was having none of it knowing that she would never live her life at peace once she did.

The morning after, in the breakfast hall, her parents were wearing a glaring face while her sister seemed lifeless. Jennie decides to voice out her likings in taking medicine as well at breakfast. And that was when she saw Jisoo smile at her in great light and gratitude.

For the younger one, it was only her way to keep her parents off her sisters back to let her live a life she had missed but she did not expect that she was putting herself in her sister's dungeon instead.

And ten years later, Jisoo has yet to come back. Her sister was in some place where no one knows where. While she was here in her directorial office at the age of 30 lifelessly waiting for another life to be saved but far the life she yearned to make.

A knock on the door woke Jennie from her thoughts.

"Doctor Kim?" Roseanne Park Jennie's longest friend and head nurse called.

"Rosie. Is there a problem?" She asked as it was rare for her friend to call for her.

"The new surgeon has arrived. But it seems that before you could interview her she had operated someone first as it seems that we suddenly had a lack of surgeon around here." Intrigued at the this newbie, knowing that it was a protocol to never operate once you are not permitted or associated to the hospital, Jennie asked. "Is she still in the operating room?"

"Yes she is actually just about to begin. Will you perform in her stead?" Her friend asked as Jennie was a general surgeon but the latter shook her head.

"Could you lead me to her then Rosie? I would consider this as her preliminary interview instead." To say it was a shock for Roseanne as Jennie rarely observes any performing surgery. She knows her friend has no interest in the field regardless if she was the top surgeon in the country.

"Of course. Shall we?" And both women went towards the operating theater. 

Upon arrival, Jennie only saw that it was only the surgeon, a scrub person, an anesthesiologist and a circulating nurse.

"Where is the assisting surgeon Roseanne?" Jennie asked warily.

"We were short in people I'm afraid and since the persons life is in 50/50 the newbie suggested it would be best to take action immediately." It was then when Jennie held the microphone to call for the teams attention.

"Wait!" Everyone looked at her way. "Allow me to assist." The others were shocked at the proposal because the director never assist but since the newbie did not know her yet she merely nod in compliance.

Jennie immediately left and prepared to change her scrubs, she then proceeded to the OR with Roseanne in tow. 

"Who is she again?" She inquired not knowing who the newbie was. She induce in asepsis as she waited for her friend to answer.

"Dr. Lisa Manoban. A Cardiothoracic Surgeon, in her first year." Jennie looked at Roseanne in wariness. "She is the top in their batch, so maybe she might be good. She assisted major operations while she was still in school might be a kiss ass for her professors to allow her. Besides you are there to assist her anyways in case something might go." She only nodded.  "Best of luck." That was the last words she heard from Rosie as she entered the OR.

"Doctor Manoban." Jennie called. "Inform me please." The newbie nodded and complied with the request. As she heard the newbie talk, it seemed that her way of explaining is much better than any surgeons she has worked with so far. She even made sure to know who were the person she was working with in the OR.

Upon the commencement of the operation, however, it seems that a problem would usually arise and that chaos would begin.

1027 Words