Heartbreak - 8

Neither one could believe how everything had managed to play out, and neither one knew what was in store for them in the coming days.

~=~{}~=~

"I don't know what to do, Nathalie," Gabriel groaned as he threw himself down in a chair.  He put his head in his hands and huffed angrily.

Nathalie placed a hand gently on her boss's shoulder.  "I don't know how to help you."

"Adrien is-" he massaged his temples to fend off a migraine, "Adrien is half of what is getting between me and Emilie.  If he truly knew what I was doing, he would be on my side."

"I know," Nathalie whispered.

She'd been there after Emilie's death when Gabriel had spiraled into the depths of depression.  She'd watched him grow spiteful and angry at the world around him, at his devoted staff, even at his own son, yet he never lashed out at her.  She'd watched his desperation infect and disfigure the very mansion he and Emilie had called home.

He had built himself an impenetrable fortress.  He had locked his son inside his own room like a prison cell.  He had trapped Emilie's shell in a shrine of beauty and splendor.  He had vowed to tear the very essence of time and space to return her soul to him.

She never would have wanted any of this.

Nathalie thought back to her best friend.  Playing together when they were children.  Causing mischief around Paris, running the streets with tattered clothing as if they had no money to spare.  The late nights spent talking about boys and the future and life.  Getting a job where she could see her best friend every single day.  Bliss.  Pure, unadulterated bliss.

Watching her best friend grow sick.

Watching her best friend's condition worsen until there was virtually nothing left.

Watching her best friend's husband place her body in a glass coffin.

"I should talk to him," Gabriel said resolutely, snapping Nathalie from her memories.  "I should tell him my plan.  How he'll get to see his mother again.  Ladybug trusts him, so she'll give her miraculous over willingly."

"Gabriel-" Nathalie began to object, but Gabriel was up and out the door before Nathalie could say another word.

She sighed, watching as the man she secretly loved and would do anything for went to write to the boy she loved as her own and would do anything for.

~=~{}~=~

"And...submit!"  Marinette closed her laptop and rolled over onto her back, kicking her legs up into the air.

"Yet another group project defeated by Paris's greatest team," Adrien laughed, lying down on the floor beside his partner.

"I suppose we were always a pretty great team, even without the mask," Marinette said with a smile.

A moment of pleasant silence lulled between the two, a much-needed respite from the tense nature of the past few days.  Marinette rolled over onto her side, slightly uncomfortable on the hardwood flooring, and she gazed lovingly at Adrien, tracing the contours of his face with her eyes.  His eyes were such a gorgeous shade of green as if encased inside of them were acres of verdant forest just waiting to be explored.

Adrien's eyes.

Adrien was looking at her.

Adrien had caught her staring at him.

Marinette's eyes widened, and she immediately flipped onto her back, fiercely staring a hole into the ceiling.

Adrien laughed, and though Marinette couldn't see his face, she figured it looked positively radiant, as it always did when he laughed.

Tap! Tap! Tap!

Marinette looked towards the source of the sound, standing up off of the floor.  She walked over to her window, opening it up and reaching out to take the folded note from the delicate, shimmering butterfly that had brought it.

Dearest Ladybug,

As you and Adrien have apparently been corresponding insubordinately, I felt that this was the best way to get a message to Adrien.  Please give this to him.

Marinette sank onto her lounge chair, shaken at receiving yet another letter from Papillon, and she quietly beckoned for Adrien to sit next to her.

Now that I am aware of your status as Chat Noir, Adrien, I feel there is no reason to keep this from you any longer.  By combining your and Ladybug's miraculous, I will bring your mother back to us.

An audible gasp came from the boy on Marinette's left, and she sought out his hand and gave it a firm squeeze.

While my being Papillon may have come as a shock to you, I expect that you will come to understand my reasoning and motivations.  Your mother is very dear to all of us, and I expect you to do what's right.  Bring her back to us, Adrien.

Sincerely,

Gabriel Agreste

Adrien's entire body shook with the weight of the small piece of paper in his palm.

"Oh, Kitty," Marinette gasped from beside him, her hand covering her mouth.  Adrien suddenly folded over, his head in his hands, and began to sob.

"I c-can't," he choked, "I can't ch-choose between being Chat a-and my m-mother."

Marinette rubbed his back in what she hoped was a consoling manner, playing with his hair and holding him through his tears.

"I know, Kitten," she whispered.

"I can never, ever go home," Adrien muttered, his voice hoarse.  "A-After she died, he was just so cold...to me, to Nathalie...he hated me because I reminded him of her."

"Shh," Marinette soothed, combing the fingers of one hand through Adrien's hair and holding his hand with her other.  "We don't need to talk if you don't want to."

Adrien nodded, placing his head onto Marinette's lap and shifting until he was comfortable.  He took several deep breaths until his tears dried up.

"She was everything to me," he whispered quietly.

Marinette closed her eyes, the pain dripping from Adrien's voice almost unbearable.  She continued playing with his hair, but she knew there was nothing she could do to make this easier for him.