Chapter Eight: At the book shop

My boss on the phone...

Well of course I had to tell a holy lie that the first draft was good and the book was going to be a hot cake.

Not that I enjoying telling lies but I can't help it my boss could be an interesting guy if he chooses to.

I know it all excuses I'm not to lie and that's it. I quickly said sorry as I hung the phone.

The story was going to be good of course it's the famous Jeffrey Jones's book anyway.

I had planned to read and edit the book.

The first line of the book got me speaking in tongues. You must be wondering what planet or century I'm from, don't worry Jeffrey also thinks the same.

I'm not a religious christian that is stive with rules or how one lives their life.

We are perfected by Christ Jesus and not what we do. He has paid off our past, present and future sins.

Well it is not a license to continue to sin but what I'm trying to say is we can't be perfect on own.

The bible said we should be careful for nothing. I term to be a little careful sometimes.

Jeffrey was good at writing love stories that was what I heard not stimulating scenes.

I chose to wipe it all out. Without having to read it. I know I was to edit the story but not to rewrite the whole scenes.

I did and I know he was not going to like it.

I had quickly send him the draft I had edited.

"Miss Adriana, this is not the book I sent you".

"It a good pitch but could you not change my characters without my permission".

He said loud and clear, I could hear the anger in his voice.

He didn't let me talk besides I had no excuse for my unprofessional behavior. I had no right to criticize his work.

I just stood there and hear him blabbing and blabbing.

"I'm sorry I will do it again". I had apologized.

But no the guy was pissed and I was sure he was going to ask  my boss to change me.

He was angry. I had to find a way to calm him down. My boss can't know of this.

This were the times I wished my dad was still with me he gives the best of advise. I so miss him.

I decided to go to the book shop to get all Jeffery's previous books I could get my hands on. After I got off the phone with him.

Whilst at it I saw Nana Ama Freeman and some other church members getting some christian books.

I tried to hide, they had already seen me and was walking to my end....... This was going to be a disaster

I got five copies of Jeffrey's books in my hand. I can't push them in my bag because I haven't paid for them and when the camera see me I will be in trouble for stealing.

And if those 3 sees me with such books the whole church will know about it which is even a bigger trouble.

They were approaching first. I needed to make a quick decision to save myself from being judged.

I dropped them on the floor and pushed it to the other side.

"Hello, sister Adriana, how nice to see you here."

Nana Ama Freeman the Rev's daughter had said.

I gave her a gentle smile and hugs her. I said hello to the other two girls with her, Vivian and Rosemary.

They were quite gossips. They judged anything they believe is not christian like.

"What are you doing here in this broad daylight? Vivian asked.

"Oh, me, yeah. I was in the area... And I decided to check the place out.

A friend recommended this errmm "Pastor Isaac Amarh" book to me she said it was really good but I can't seem to see it anywhere.

I lied. It becoming my specialty to lie I don't like it but I needed to save my self from those ladies. "Forgive me father" I whispered.

"Oh no wonder you couldn't find it, all christian books are at the other side.

Here are circular books". Vivian pointed out. I could see judgement in her eyes.

"Yeah sure. Thanks I said softly.

I wanted them to leave so I can go back to what I was doing but they won't.  I was forced to go buy a book I already had a copy.

"I Can't wait to attend this years youth camp meeting". Rosemary exclaimed.

"Yes that reminds me, you are coming right?. She asks.

"Of course she will, Adriana has never missed a camp meeting". Nana Ama answered.

I gave her a gentle smile not wanting to say anything. My job was on the line and now I had to deal with this two annoying girls pretending to be angels.

They decided to let me pay for their books as well because I was working and those 3 were still in school.

We are of the same age. I just happened to finish the university before them and got employed where I did my service.

"Can you please pay for ours too?" Vivian sarcastically asked.

Nana Ama tried to stop her.

"Hey, okay.

Kindly add theirs to mine I said softly to the cashier as I took money from my purse to pay her.

"Do you mind if I add this to my books." Vivian asked waving the book in my face.

"Sure not a problem". I said with a smile. I couldn't wait to get rid of them and they act of hypocrisy.

Nana Ama and Rosemary felt embarrassed but she didn't care.

I thought to get rid of them when we leave the shop

They just ruined my day....