Chapter 5

Mackenzie stood in front of her mirror in a pair of hip hugging jeans and her bra.  She couldn’t quite figure out what type of shirt to wear.  Did she wear a T-shirt or long sleeve shirt?  Did she take a heavier jacket?  She just wasn’t sure.  She hadn’t even finished packing her duffel bag yet as she wasn’t quite sure how to pack for a sleepover.  She chewed on her bottom lip, knowing she was running out of time.  She jumped at the unexpected knock on her door.

            “Mackenzie?”

            The teen’s storm gray eyes lit up as she raced to the door.  “Cassidy!” she cried in relief, hugging the woman.

            “Hey sweetie, you’re not even dressed yet.”

            Mackenzie shook her head, her bangs falling into her eyes.  “I don’t know what to wear.”

            Cassidy smiled and walked over to the dresser.  Mackenzie sat down on the bed and watched.  She wondered what Cassidy would come up with.  She had gone through all her clothes a dozen times and still hadn’t been able to come up with anything.  Cassidy soon turned back around, holding a dark purple tank top in one hand and a purple and black plaid three-quarter length sleeve button down in her other.

            Mackenzie stared in disbelief.  “How did you…  I looked at those clothes a thousand different times.”

            “Lots of practice,” Cassidy smiled, handing the teen the shirts.  “Go head and finish getting dressed.  I’ve got to grab something then I’ll help you finish packing.”

            “Thank you, Cassidy.”

            The older woman nodded and slipped out of the bedroom.  Mackenzie pulled the tank top over her head and tucked it in before slipping the new leather belt Cassidy and Jeremy had gotten her through the loops.  She fastened the belt buckle and then slipped the plaid shirt on.  She straightened the shirt out and stood in front of the mirror, surprised by the reflection that looked back at her.  She had put on some muscle since helping with the horses and had filled out some too.  She was finally starting to grow out of her awkward runt stage.

            Mackenzie smiled to herself and returned to her bed, pulling the scrunchie out of her hair, letting it fall in waves to her lower back.  The teen ran a brush through her dusty colored hair before doing it up in a fishbone braid and coaxing her side swept bangs to feather across her forehead and frame her heart shaped face.  She was finally starting to feel like a normal teenager.

            “Very pretty,” Cassidy commented on, stepping back into the room.

            Mackenzie looked over at her foster mother with a smile.  “Do you really think so?”

            “I do.  And I bet you’ll turn a certain young man’s head.”  The teen’s face reddened.  “He’s a good kid, Kenzie.  And so is his sister.  I’m glad you made friends with them.”

            “How long have you known them?” the teen asked curiously.

            “Oh, I’ve known Fern since she was in diapers.  Her and Caleb used to hang around with Abby.”  Mackenzie was surprised by that.  She had figured Abby had been older then Caleb.  “Oh, here.”

            Cassidy set a brown wrapped package on Mackenzie’s lap.  The teen was confused, but tore open the packaging.  Her eyes widened.  A fur lined black hoodie lay on her lap.  Her name was embroidered on the left hand side with a silk screen blue roan imprinted on the back.  The stitching was in white and silver outlined her name and fancied up the back.  Mackenzie sat speechless.  She couldn’t recall the last time she had received something so nice.