Chapter 9

Mackenzie jumped out of the SUV before it even stopped completely, excited about the news she had.  She didn’t even notice Cassidy wave or the knowing smile on her face.  Mackenzie sent a quick wave to Cassidy before jogging down to the barn, hoping she was guessing right.

            The teen peeked inside and grinned when she heard a couple familiar voices.  She followed the voices through the barn until she came to the indoor arena they had.  Mackenzie stopped and watched for a few minutes, a smile on her face.  Caleb was helping Fern get situated on the back of a beautiful, stocky buckskin.  Fern had a look of concentration on her pretty face as Caleb helped put her foot in a stirrup.

            “Hey guys,” Mackenzie said softly, not wanting to scare anyone.

            The siblings looked over, smiles on both their faces.  “You have excellent timing, Mac,” Caleb said.  “We were just getting ready to go for a tide.  Care to join us?”

            “You bet!” she exclaimed, eliciting a giggle from Fern.

            “Great.  Do you mind standing here with Fern and Ranger while I get Tally saddled up for you?”

            “Not at all,” Mackenzie answered, walking over with Fern and Ranger, her satchel bumping against her thigh.

            Fern grinned at her friend as Caleb jogged off to get Tally ready.  Mackenzie looked up at her friend and saw a hint of pain in her eyes behind her smile.  Apparently she was having one of her bad days.

            “I have some great news for you and Caleb,” Mackenzie said, barely able to control her excitement.

            “Really?” Fern asked, trying to sit straighter in the saddle.  Although she ended up giving up and just leaning on the saddle horn.

            Mackenzie felt for her friend.  She knew the younger girl got frustrated, but she tried not to show it too often.  She didn’t want or like when people felt sorry for her.  Mackenzie flashed the younger girl a smile as Caleb walked back into the arena leading a dusty brown Quarter Horse.  The mare was bigger then Bailey, but she had the same kind eye.

            Caleb handed Tally’s reins to Mackenzie and then walked over to his sister.  He swung on behind Fern and rested his strong arms around his sister’s waist, letting her control Ranger.  Mackenzie turned to her mount and patted the horse’s neck before swinging her leg over Tally’s broad back.  She turned the horse’s head to follow Ranger, hoping they weren’t going far.  She was nearly bursting at the seams with her news.

            Fern clucked softly and led the way out of the barn.  She turned toward a wooded trail that looked like it ran back into a field.  The horses walked quietly down the dirt trail, their heads bobbing with each step.  Mackenzie looked around the woods, taking everything in.  This would be her new home, in the foothills of Pennsylvania.  She couldn’t think of a more beautiful spot at the moment she would rather be in.

            The trail soon came out into a beautiful field of flowers.  Fern guided Ranger along the edge of the field until they reached an area that had rocks sitting around what looked like a fire pit.  Mackenzie looked over at her friends questioningly.

            “We used to came out here,” Caleb explained as Fern let Ranger drop his head to graze.

            Mackenzie pushed Tally up beside them before letting her graze as well.  “It’s pretty out here.  I bet you guys had a lot of fun.”

            Caleb turned so that he was sitting on Ranger’s broad butt.  “It was.  Maybe we can all plan a night to try it again.”

            “Yeah!” Fern said excitedly.  “I haven’t been camping in ages.”

            Mackenzie giggled as she sat sideways in the saddle.  “I’m in,” she said cheerily.  “Oh guess what?”  The siblings looked at each other before turning their full attention back to Mackenzie.  “Jeremy and Cassidy want to adopt me!” she said excitedly.

            “Oh Mackenzie that’s great!” Fern said happily.  “We so should throw a party!”

            “Maybe we should wait until all the paperwork’s done,” Caleb suggested.  The girls’ faces fell.  Caleb shook his head.  “You know what, I have an idea.  There’s a fun show next Saturday at the Fair Grounds.  I was thinking about taking Ranger.  Why don’t we take Bailey too and go out for pizza afterward?  That way we can plan Mac’s party.”

            “Ooh!  I’m in!” Fern said.

            “Sure, sounds fun,” Mackenzie agreed.  “Cassidy and I started working Bailey at poles this morning.  Maybe an actual competition will do her some good.”

            “Then it’s a date,” Caleb smiled.

            A date?  Mackenzie went cold.  Surely that wasn’t what he meant.  Besides, Fern would be there too.  She shook her head and quickly turned her attention back to her friends.  They were talking animatedly about their plans for the following Saturday.  Mackenzie had to admit, it did sound fun.  And maybe by then her adoption papers would be in the process.

            The three friends soon headed back to the house as it became apparent that Fern was starting to get exhausted.  She ended up leaning back against Caleb and letting him guide Ranger home.  Mackenzie rode beside them.  She was looking forward to getting to spend the evening with them and talk more about next weekend.  She had no idea what a ‘Fun Day’ was after all.