Ch 1: Odd little things

Brianna.

My mouth dropped open as I stared up at my new school. The five-story building loomed before me, its sleek, mostly glass structure reflecting the sun, making me squint.

"It's so big..." I whispered, tearing my gaze away from the impressive building to the entrance.

New town, new school.

I walked inside, trying to shake off my nerves. Just because it's my first time transferring schools doesn't mean I should be worried.

I recalled my locker number and found it easily, opening it and stuffing in the things I wouldn't need for my first class. As I closed the locker, I was greeted by a tall, blonde-haired guy leaning his muscular arm on the locker beside mine, smirking at me.

"Hey," he said, his smirk widening.

I eyed him up and down, raising an eyebrow slightly. "Hey."

My gaze briefly lingered on his dirty blue denim jeans, which made his thighs stand out. Not that I was staring, but it was hard not to notice. I also couldn't help but wonder why he was wearing a thin white shirt, obviously without anything underneath, when it was fall.

Isn't he cold?

"What's your name?" he asked, leaning a little closer.

"Brianna Cay," I answered, hesitating after giving him a quick glance.

He nodded and smiled, clearly pleased with my response. "New here?"

"Yeah," I replied curtly.

He leaned even closer. "Need help getting around?"

I pressed my lips together. This guy's definitely hitting on me.

"No, thank you," I said, offering him a polite smile. The last thing I needed was for him to play tour guide. Who knows what his intentions might be?

"What's your first class?" he persisted, stepping away from the locker as he flashed me another grin.

"You don't need to know," I replied, annoyance creeping into my voice.

Before he could say more, someone called out from down the corridor.

"Park Jihoon!"

Both of us turned toward the voice. Another tall guy was walking toward us, his long, skinny legs clad in black jeans, with a loose-fitting yellow cardigan draped over him.

Jihoon — if that was him — waved, then glanced back at me, saying, "I'll see you next time, beautiful," before flashing me one last smirk and heading toward the guy four meters away.

"Hey, Junkyu, stop calling my name in public," Jihoon muttered seriously as he approached the other guy, Junkyu, I guessed. "If anyone sees us together, they'll report it. You know the penalty."

I tilted my head, confused by their conversation. They're not allowed to be together? Why? What kind of trouble are they into? Maybe they're part of a gang or something... I better steer clear of them, or I might get tangled in something I want no part of.

Junkyu glanced at me, tilting his head slightly, and I furrowed my brows. His eye twitched, glowing strangely, and his nostrils flared. He took a step toward me, and I felt a chill—his presence suddenly seemed... terrifying.

Jihoon quickly stepped in and placed a hand on Junkyu's chest, stopping him.

"Yah," Jihoon's voice was deep, almost like a warning. "I know what you're thinking. Don't you dare, especially not in front of me."