Ch 3: What are you?

Brianna.

While walking on the sidewalk, a frown was plastered on my face as I thought about everything that happened today—from the moment I first stepped inside the school, the cafeteria incident, and up until now.

It was a great welcome for my first day here. Notice the sarcasm. I want to go back to sunny Florida where my biological dad is. I don't like Mom's new husband. I don't want a different father. Their wedding, my stepfather's kid, moving here, and changing schools is too much for me. I just want to go back to where my life was still normal.

I looked up at the sky and watched the gradient colors painted on it. Staring at its shades of red, yellow, orange, pink, violet, and blue somehow entertained me. It's an unexplainable feeling, but it is beautiful. I smiled, feeling relaxed for the moment.

"Why are you walking alone?" I heard a high-pitched voice ask. I turned my head and saw a short guy—maybe four inches taller than me—with pink-dyed hair walking behind me with a small smile on his face. "It's dangerous to be alone, especially now that night is near."

He was wearing loose sky-blue jeans, a white top, and a black leather jacket with two pockets on each side where his hands were shoved. His skin was porcelain and smooth, and his face small. His cheekbones were high, and his eyes were beautiful, glowing in the sun. He looked really cute and charming.

I think I saw him earlier.

"My house is just near," I answered plainly, shoving my hands into the pockets of my jeans and turning my head back to the front. "I can handle myself."

He walked beside me, and I saw him lift his chin up in my peripheral vision. "Suit yourself. But I'm walking with you for today."

I glanced at him, and he smiled at me. It made me smile too. Curiosity hitting me, I asked him, "What's your name?"

He walked in front of me, making me stop in my tracks. He took my hand, bowed slightly, and brought it up to his lips, placing a kiss on the back of it after saying, "Takata Mashiho, beautiful."

My breath hitched at the skin contact. His smiling lips hovered over the back of my hand longer than needed, and the sensation made me shiver slightly.

I had been called so many pretty nicknames at school today. I had been called 'beautiful' several times. It's not that I don't like it, but what is up with the guys at our school? Most of them are acting weird, including this guy. I didn't see any other boys act so flirty around the other girls in school.

"And you are?" he asked, slowly lifting his head up and releasing my hand in the process.

"Brianna Cay," I introduced myself plainly.

He nodded and turned his back to me, walking ahead with his hands in his pockets again. "So I've heard. You know, I heard about you from Jaehyuk."

"You know him?" I asked, surprised. I trailed behind him and his shadow, noticing that it was getting darker with every passing minute.

"We're friends. We're in a group together," he said, glancing at me from time to time. "Remember the really tall guy who had a fight with your friend earlier?"

He's friends with Haruto and Jaehyuk. He was probably one of the guys sitting at the same table as Jaehyuk, which is why Mashiho's face seems familiar.

"Yeah," I answered. "Isn't Jeongwoo your friend too?"

He laughed loudly, making my eyes widen in shock. His laugh was bitter, almost hysterical. "No. Definitely not. Not a single one of them."

"What?" Confusion and curiosity poked at my mind again. I matched his pace as I stared at him with furrowed brows. "Jeongwoo, Junghwan, Doyoung, and Jihoon are nice. They were nice to me. And they're fun people to be with. Why aren't you friends with them? You and your group—why?"