Personalities

In daily life, the term personality is very freely used by people with different meanings. Some people refer to the physical appearance like height, weight, color, body built, dress, voice, etc. Some other people refer to intellectual qualities like intelligence, activeness, way of speech, thinking and reasoning abilities, etc.

It is also referred to as social characteristics like sociability, generosity, kindness, reservedness, etc. On the basis of these characteristics, they judge people as strong or weak personalities, good and bad personalities, etc.

In this way, we all make personality judgments about the people we know. A major part of coming to understand ourselves is developing a sense of what our personality characteristics are. We even form impressions about the personalities of people we do not know but have only read about. As we shall see, these everyday uses of the term are quite different from the meaning psychologists give to the term personality.

The term personality has been derived from the Latin word 'persona'- means 'mask'. In the olden days, while playing dramas, in order to give good effects to the roles played by them, the Greek actors used to wear masks.

The psychologists continue to use the term personality to indicate that, the real or inner qualities of a person will be different from, that of the qualities seen apparently. Hence, defining and understanding the personality is not very easy as it appears. It is very difficult to define personality in a precise way.

Human personality is purposive in nature. The purposive nature of human personality is amply indicated by its selective information-processing, free decision-making, and creative spon­taneity. Creative purpose is the main theme of human behavior.

Its creative purpose may range from biological creativity and utilitarian creativity to the aesthetic and intellectual creativity of the highest order. All other forms of behavior are subservient to the creative purpose of an individual.

The corollary of the creative principle in human personality is the appreciative principle. The expressions of the appreciative principle are love, sympathy, under­standing, cooperation, and so on. The creative purpose is the principle of individuation. It is the source of the uniqueness of an individual.

No two persons have the same personality. Every personality is unique. Even twins brought up in the same environment have different personalities. Personality is the synthetic unity of all the characteristics reaction tendencies of a person in their intimate interplay. The factors of personality can be distinguished through analysis.

They form an organic whole of the interdependent parties. Personality is not a mere sum of distinguishable aspects. It refers to a pattern of traits rather than a mere collection of characteristics. Personality traits tell us how the individual behaves. They show his characteristic style of action.

Me Myself and Personality Traits When asked to describe myself I never know what to say, but I should know myself the best, right? I like to look at myself as a genuine, thoughtful young lady. I'm a hard worker; I believe nothing is ever handed to you so you have to go get it. I worked hard to get to this point in my life and work even harder to get to the successful and graduate part of my life. I care more for some others than I do myself but I have a huge nonchalant attitude. I don't really show anger or sadness much I always smile because I'm optimistic about life. I look at life as if something bad comes along, no need to dwell on it you can't take it back so just move-on and improve what you did wrong if it's possible.

I was taught to be caring and thoughtful; I wasn't taught anything else from anyone other than not to trust people. I'm the oddball of my family because I am nothing like anyone. I can say I was also taught to believe in myself and never down myself because I can accomplish anything. That is shown through my determination and hard work because if I didn't believe in myself I wouldn't try as hard. Last but not all, the Humanistic approach sums up my personality a little more than psychodynamic does because it involves nature vs. nurture, and that kind of sums it up just saying that. Environment and Heredity is kind of the main reasons for my attitudes and actions. In the article, Time-Limited Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, Briggs conducts different forms of psychotherapy techniques to prove whether things in an adolescent's life affect different adolescents differently.

A quote that I live by is, "People don't always behave the way you want them to, but it doesn't mean the way they behave is wrong." This says to me that I cannot change anyone because I do not understand or like the way someone does something. Trying to do this is trying to change one's human personality. Human personality is what makes a person distinctive, unique, and exceptional. Every person has a different personality and some personalities mesh better than others. Human personality should always be praised and no one should ever put anyone down for having a different personality. It is truly just allowing people to be who they are unless they are in violation of other human rights.