And They Were Roommates

It was the summer after high school and Vic had just texted me that he was done with work, he was a painter with his dad and cousin but he mainly goofed around the whole time. Me and Vic were so ready to start college, we luckily got into the same music program at UC Berkeley and were able to find off campus housing nearby. Move in day was in a couple days and all we had done was made sure Vic's 2006 Honda Civic could hold both of our stuff.

*Kellin's phone chimes*

>"Hey wyd?"

<"Just laying in bed wbu?"

>"On my way to get ya, get dressed lol"

<"Omg okayyy"

I hopped up and slid on the same old black jeans and vans I've been wearing since I could remember. I grabbed my phone and wallet and went outside to wait. It had been about 10 mins before I heard Vic's old car come around the corner, he honked a bunch pretending I didn't see him pull up and I started to laugh, he always made me laugh.

"What are you wearing?" I asked Vic.

"Uhh the same gear I always wear for work"

"Vic, you looked like you just murdered someone," I said looking at his white pants that were covered in red paint.

"Oh whoops" Vic replied and laughed, "I didn't realize I had a fashion critic with me"

He put the car in gear and we left, I didn't really know where we were going but I didn't really care. I enjoyed being around Vic, we've known each other since 7th grade and he's definitely my soulmate - friend wise of course. Vic has been strictly into women since I could remember, he lost his virginity at 15 to a girl named Danielle and ever since he's been a chick magnet. I'm bi i think? I haven't really talked to anyone about it mainly because I'm scared but I'm pretty sure I just overthink. We had been driving for about 14 minutes and I realized where we were going. We live in Richmond, CA so we're not that far away from Berkeley, Vic loved going there for the little cafes and thrift shops.

"So we're going thrifting?" I asked him.

"Uh no, I bought some stuff for the apartment so I figured we could go check it out and set some stuff up," he said and smiled at me.

"For sure, but what about like the keys and stuff?" I asked again

"Jaime's a maintenance man there so he can give us the keys," he replied.

Jaime was a friend of his from high school, they were in choir together.

Vic seemed different today, he seemed off and nervous but also more calm and collected at the same time, he wasn't making as much eye contact with me and I wasn't sure why.

"Hey Kells, grab my phone and text Jaime we're pulling up," I grabbed his phone and unlocked it, as I was going to his messages I saw an app I never thought I'd see on his phone, I ignored it and went to his messages and put his phone back in the center console. He had Grindr on his phone, I had Grindr on mine so it was a shock to see it on his.

Jaime texted back "okay" and he parked. Vic looked at me like he was going to say something but stopped when Jaime jumped up behind me and hit the passenger side window. I obviously jumped and screamed.

"What the fuck Jaime," I scream laughed at him. He was basically rolling on the floor laughing when I looked at him.

"Kells it's Jaime, what'd you expect?" Vic said laughing. We got out and Jaime and Vic talked some then he handed Vic the keys. We popped his trunk open and grabbed whatever he had bought and we headed to the apartment.