Chapter 45

A few moments earlier...

Betty Pov:
I inhaled the sweet, cinnamon-y pumpkin aroma that wafted through the air from the newly-lit candle I placed in the kitchen. My neck laid onto the arm rest of the couch as I pulled the soft knitted blanket that my mom made me a few days ago, bringing it to me when she came to visit our little family. I had just finished a chapter of In Cold Blood, one of mine and Jug's favorite books, placing a bookmark in it before I let my eyelids drift shut. I could hear Lola singing a soft tune to herself in her bedroom before she rambled to her dolls about some monster coming to devour them.

And then the doorbell rang.

Strange... I thought. It's not Jug, because he has a key and he would've called me if he couldn't get in. It's not my mom. She would've let me know if she was planning to visit. Same as Veronica and Archie or Cheryl and Toni. Who on earth could it be?

I grudgingly lifted myself off of the couch, annoyedly sauntering towards the front door. I heard Lola's bedroom door swing open before her little feet ran down the stairs. I pulled the door open, coming face to face with a pair of strangers.

"Hi! Are you Betty Cooper?", the woman asked. She was pretty, with fair skin and caramel-brown hair. Her complexion displayed a tiny hint of pink on her cheeks that drew out her warm brown eyes. "I am... Who's asking?", I responded.

"I'm Avery Langston.", she stated, reaching out to shake my hand, which I did reluctantly. "This is my husband, Don Langston.", she added. We also exchanged a hand shake.

"Um... How may I help you two?", I questioned, still very confused about what was occurring. "Oh!", the women exclaimed, seemingly remembering her objective. "Right. We're here because the mayor, or the government here, gave us a call. They told us to come here as soon as we could, so that we could return something to you.", she said nervously.

"I- Okay... What do you need to return? That's weird for them to call you like that...".

The blonde-haired gentlemen who went by the name of Don cleared his throat, casting a sparing glance behind him.

"Well, you see, we're foster parents.", he admitted. "We haven't been foster parents for very long, but we've enjoyed every moment of it.", he added.

I chuckled nervously. "Oh. I'm not really sure what you're trying to imply here. Does the government want me to take in another child?".

Their nerves suddenly because clearly chilled and apprehensive, though also excited.

"Not just any child, Ms. Cooper. Her...".

A small 5 year old girl with beautiful curly, jet black hair and shining green eyes timidly stepped out from behind the shelter of her foster parents' backs. I hadn't even noticed her standing with them before. She was gorgeous. She was...

"This is your daughter, Betty.", the couple recited in unison.

"Trinity?", I whispered, overcome with disbelief. "Is that still her name?", I blurted, realizing that she may have been given another name.

"Yes.", the girl whispered back, her large eyes glancing up at me, making eye contact with me for a fraction of a second. Her parents urged her forward, lightly nudging her with their hands on their backs.

"Hi M-Mommy.", she muttered as she built up the courage to fully look at me.

I began to cry.

"Can- Is it- Can I hug you, Sweetie?", I asked as I choked on a sob. She nodded unhesitatingly, reaching out for me to embrace her. I snatched that opportunity up as if she were oxygen for my lungs, engulfing her in a light embrace as I sobbed into her shoulder quietly.

I felt my t-shirt become damp with her tears, as well.

After a few moments I pulled away, hesitantly cupping her cheeks. "Oh. You don't know how long I've waited to see you, Trinity.", I told her as I sniffled.

I remembered that Lola was still here, probably confused at everything going on.

"Lola! Come meet Trinity. She's your-".

I turned my head around, allowing myself to look back at her as I spoke to her, but I cut myself off when something else, or rather someone else. caught my eye.

Jug. Standing in the kitchen. Frozen. Confused.

"-sister."

😎✌🏼