Ghastly Fate

The Sixteenth Prince and the Conqueror are featured as the main female lead's brothers in this. It's the same universe, same setting, same time period, and affects the stand-alone companion/prequel quite a bit. Read if you want to, or not.

____________________________________

"Do you see over there?"

"What? The evening air leaves an unwanted stench in your mouth?", he asked.

The archery field placed near the stables often smelled unpleasing to outsiders, so his meaning became quite clear to his sister-in-law.

Being compared to dung was not what she had planned during this interaction.

The Royal Concubine seethed but kept her composure as she pointed out the seductress at the side of her husband.

"Your concubine engages in a liaison with the Fourth Prince. Should you not be concerned?", she remarked, gauging his response to her blatant accusation.

"Should I?", he quipped, grabbing a ripe apple from her basket and chewing on it slowly.

"You!", she yelled aloud as the figure of the Sovereign retreated in the distance.

At least she got what she wanted-that foul minx would pay.

All in this kingdom knew that the Princess Consort served as a shield for the Fourth Prince. No woman made his way to his side whilst in in her sight.

Coming to the field, the Oriental Masked King spotted the Fourth Prince and made his way over in a jiffy. Eventually, slowing down his gait until he came upon the two.

"Ah. This must be the Conqueror's Sister, correct?"

Fourth Prince felt no need to clarify, only sighing as he let go of the bow. Curtsying, she realized she was finally in the company of her betrothed.

The one that stood up her on their wedding night and also starved her for a week.

"I hope you remember the Fourth Prince's a married man...being seen alone with you might be seen as improper by some in this palace," he nonchalantly stated whilst cracking his knuckles.

"Good afternoon, Sovereign," she started, only to be interrupted.

"Careful now, concubine. Many a woman, as well as my own concubines have tried to make him theirs. None have succeeded."

Princess Consort bristled silently at the implied insult and waited for a chance to strike back.

"However, who knows? For all I know, perhaps you could be the one that finally changes his mind."

"What do you want?", asked the Fourth Prince, no sign of malice present in his voice.

A spark of pity remained in the eyes of his brothers which made the King even more furious.

"A word...preferably without the temptress beside you," he said. Fourth Prince grabbed his arm instantly after that comment, but still the Masked King added, "Even if you do manage to seduce him milady, remember he will never look at you the way he gazes at the Royal Concubine."

Pulling him aside, the Fourth Prince whisper-shouted, ""What is wrong with you?"

"What? Have you really forgotten your sweetheart after everything you did to claim her?"

"Do you want her screaming in the palace over how badly you mistreat and ignore her? Is that your idea of fun?"

"Perhaps this way, she'll go running into her brother's arms instead of lying dead in mine."

"Her brother-the Conqueror? After all her brother and her did to get this alliance? Fighting the Pirates? She'd rather die than let all that work go to waste."

"Then we'll see who lasts longer," he mocked.

The Fourth Prince scoffed. "I forgot you were trained by the General to be this callous. Probably didn't have any room in his teaching left for human compassion."

"Compassion? Like the one you show letting her be lashed by your own mother?"

"She...what?"

The Masked King chuckled. "Of course, you are unaware. Even if you were, would you dare say a word against her?"

"A little hypocritical to ask as it is clear that you were not present the night of the wedding, and starved her..."

"Yes, what could you say?", the King continued. "Tell Mother to back off?" He then turned, miming tears, saying, "And if ever I dared do something-you would tell me to go easy on the Queen Mother."

"You..." the younger prince sighed in exasperation, and replied, "I pity you."

He snapped, "I don't need your pity or your sympathy."

"Regardless of whether you believe or not, at least one of the concubines cared about you. The First Concubine loved you...no, adored you..."

The Masked King barked and held a finger at him. "Don't you speak her name in my presence!"

The Fourth Prince held his gaze and remained silent.

"Let me give you a little reminder, Fourth Prince. Don't get in my way or else."

As he turned around, the Fourth Prince once again opened his mouth. "I thought you had no love in your heart for anyone. Now I see."

His next statement gave the Conqueror brief pause.

"You do not even love yourself."

Later, some of the servants would say morning dew from a nearby tree had dropped onto the ground, glistening in the sunlight.

After all, it is a widely known fact that humans are the only ones who can shed tears.

Dogs can't cry.

____________________________

Author's note: What the male lead thinks he's like (what other people see him as too)

What's he's actually like...well, read the story for that silly!

Character Insight: I sat down and watched the first k-drama I was dragged into watching (BOF, which I hated before with the passion of a thousand burning suns) just to write this male character better. (Because I am not used to writing Beastly male love interests like I mentioned before.) I guess you could say he's a bit like Gu JunPyo from BOF, Han Shuo from Romance of Tiger and Rose, Megamind, Disney's Beauty and the Beast (of course!) and Kim Min Kyu, the male lead from I'm not a Robot. (Not that he is those characters, just that they share a few traits in common.)