Standalone Companion/Prequel

Premise: Historical fiction drama set in Ancient China.

Genre: Historical Fiction, Action, Romance, Suspense/Thriller

Relation to Story: Original Story from which The White Dove is a spinoff of. Takes place before/during The White Dove. Standalone companion/prequel story. Events in this story are affected by the other story, and characters from both stories are featured/play a role in both stories. It covers what happens between the Conqueror, the General, the Chieftain's Daughter, the Sixteenth Prince mentioned in the other story as well as other happenings occurring around the same time.

First Chapter Preview:

The Northern General shrunk back, before leaping off an abandoned chair and striking back at the Conqueror in a blatant attempt to overthrow him by force.

In a moment, history repeated itself. Only this time, the other General came within striking distance of the Conqueror. Gleefully smiling, the Northern General had a glimmer of hope until the pair combined their efforts and struck him at once from the front and the back.

"What?", he exclaimed, shocked that the two rulers would work cooperate like this.

"I am not sure if you have heard, Northern General, but let me tell you a little secret," said the Conqueror.

He hollered, "This General doesn't take betrayal lightly."

Synopsis:

The General is devastated when his country is invaded and forced to surrender to enemy forces. Even more so, when he is threatened to work under the Conqueror lest he send his people to perish.

Only for the Conqueror to be baffled to find out that having witnessed his mute brother die in his arms due to a mutiny caused by an unruly eunuch beforehand, the General has undertaken a vow of silence.

Under the condition that he only take a wife should she prove she can fight and stand besides him, he promises to fight endless battles for this almighty dictator. The Conqueror laughs at this request, however needing capable generals, he proceeds to let the deaf general (his ear damaged during a blast) take command.

Everything changes when a neighboring tribe allies with the Conqueror, and the chieftain's daughter is introduced in all her battle-hardy glory.

Instantly, the Conqueror's brother, the Sixteenth prince is smitten meanwhile the foreign General's eyes reveal nothing. She comes to admire the war-weary General's now mature-attitude towards war whilst the Conqueror proposes the Sixteenth have a marriage alliance with a Japanese shogun's daughter, a recent widow whose royal husband was killed by pirates.

However, the Shogun's Daughter is ambushed by pirates, and as she fights her way out, she catches the Sixteenth Prince's attention. The reluctant pair are caught in a misunderstanding when she judges the Sixteenth to be sent as a bodyguard to escort her. Meanwhile, the General allows the Chieftain's daughter to be in his presence. Onlookers observe that maybe...his cold presence is starting to warm up.

Unfortunately, matters at the court, Japanese Pirates, and other Oriental kingdoms threaten the safety of the burgeoning kingdom.

It is said Quien mucho abarca, poco aprieta. (Who takes in/embraces a lot/much, few/little is squeezed.) Basically whomever tries to do too many things at once, ultimately fails in accomplishing any of them.

What can a deaf General and his constituents do when faced with these multiple issues at once and insurmountable odds of overcoming them?

Dialogue Quotes: (Underline=Written)

1. "If I was the ruler, he'd be dead."

"Were you the ruler, we'd all be dead."

2. "Who would want to serve such an obstinate lady?"

"Likewise."

"Excuse me! I am no lady!"

3. "For a great general, he certainly does not know how to avert disaster."

4. "The stars shine radiantly tonight."

Not as radiant as you do though.

Author's note: It is not necessary to read the other story to comprehend this one. If you would like to read more set in the same time period, or view some characters that are in both stories with a different lens, reading both would be optimal. There are shared events in common though as well as characters. (Plot here impacts plot there, and inversely too.)