Chapter 29

Louisa dashed towards the reception area of the Danpong Hospital. "Hi, I'm looking for a Naa Larley Hooper, she's been admitted here for labour reasons." She told one of the nurses who promptly checked to see if someone had been admitted under that name.
"We do have one Naa Larley Hooper here ma'am, but I'm afraid visiting hours are over, so you'll have to go and come back another-"

Louisa leaned in menacingly, her nose almost touching the highly frightened nurse's. "Listen to me carefully, miss..."
She glanced at her name tag. "...Felicia, I get that you're doing your job and all, but my sister is in there... and she needs me. This is her first pregnancy, and her husband is in there all alone with her, with no idea of what he could possibly do to help her out, and he's freaking out!"

William reached for her and pulled her back gently. Turning to the now subdued nurse he begged sheepishly, with a dashing smile. "Please forgive her, you must understand that she's worried. It's her sister after all." He sighed in relief, when the nurse gave him an understanding smile and then directed both of them towards Naa Larley's ward.

William was ecstatic. He had thought at the very least the nurse would allow only Louisa in but she had asked for him to follow her too.
He smiled back at his lovely fiancée when she gave him a grateful smile, and then told her he'd be waiting outside the ward if she needed anything. With a grateful nod, Louisa entered the room.

"Oh thank goodness, you're here... I don't know what I'd have done without you." Mike gushed out in appreciation as Louisa rushed to her best friend's side. The fair beauty was drenched in sweat, and it seemed she had just overcome another contraction.

Louisa squeezed the woman's hand tightly. " How far are you?" She asked.

"About five centimetres." Naa Larley replied, groaning in pain as another contraction hit.

"Breath, breath, easy there, easy." Louisa soothed.

Naa Larley's eyes opened as she recovered from the momentary pain and she took in Louisa's appearance.

"Why are you wearing a T-shirt that smells like male perfume?" She asked inquisitively causing Louisa to roll her eyes.

Trust Naa Larley to be looking for gist while in labour. "It's a long story." Louisa summarized conclusively right when another contraction hit.

Good. They were becoming more closely paced now. Louisa couldn't help but admire her sweet best friend. The brave woman wanted the whole natural experience and so had refused the C-section alternative, agreeing to do that only in the case of an emergency. Her husband had been against the idea, but he eventually came around.

It wasn't like he had a choice really.

Naa Larley recovered again and then glanced at her husband, a tired look on her face. "Honey, I think you should go and get the doctor, it's time."

Mike dashed out of the room like he was the Flash much to the laughter of his wife and Louisa.
Naa Larley smiled weakly at her friend. "I know it's Will's shirt you're wearing. Does it mean you people finally did the dirty? With Isa and your mum in the house? God, you guys are slick." She muttered thoughtfully, laughing when Louisa rolled her eyes. The laughter quickly turned into a cry of pain as she squeezed Louisa's hands till the poor woman couldn't feel them anymore.

The doctor came in just in time, Mike closely on his heels, two nurses trailing behind them. He looked at Louisa. "I'm afraid, you'll have to leave ma'am, you can't be-"

"She's not going anywhere. She stays right here with me." Naa Larley interrupted in a tone that bred no room for any further discussion.

The doctor gave a subdued nod and then proceeded to check Naa Larley, and it seemed he was satisfied with how things were looking down there, for he said. "Alright. You can start pushing now."