3.8

Michael had read the letter five days ago and he still hadn’t gone to see Abigail to discuss it. He didn’t even know what he was going to say to her. There he was standing outside Starbucks scared shitless to go in. After debating for a few minutes he pushed the door open and jumped a little when it jingled. His eyes scanned the place and as he tried to ignore the heavy scent of caffeine that was everywhere. He looked up and saw her behind the counter. She was scribbling something on a cup and she smiled when she was done. She placed the cup on the counter when she was done and looked up.

Michael’s breath caught when her eyes landed on his. She looked different from the last time he’d seen her at Pizza Hut. Hell, she looked different from that night she shoved the letters in his arms. For starters; she wasn’t wearing her glasses and her hair was short and it hugged her chin. There was something different about her and Michael couldn’t quite put his hands on it. The night he first  saw her she had huge glasses on and her hair was long and blowing everywhere but now; with her mouth slightly open and her eyes wide as she started at him, something just seemed... different. He sighed and walked up to the counter. He forced a smile but Michael knew it probably looked like a perverted smirk.  She returned his smile and Michael felt his soul shiver. Ashton was written all over her smile and he couldn’t help but feel jealous because the very thing he didn’t want to happen, happened. Ashton had already changed her; whether she would admit it or not; Michael just knew he had.

“Uh, hi.” He said nervously as he reached the counter.

“Hello, welcome to Starbucks.” She said in monotone and he almost laughed.

“How are you?” He asked nervously as he tried to break the ice and get the awkwardness out of the way quick and fast; kinda like ripping off a band aid.

“I'm good. You ready to order?”

“Um. I don’t. Uh, I-I don’t drink coffee.”

“We don’t only sell coffee.”

“Really?”

“Really.”

“Oh.”

“So, are you ready to order?” She asked again as she stretched her head to look behind him. She was probably looking to see if Ashton was coming or not. Michael just knew it. She was looking for Ashton so they could have sex against the coffee machine in the back room. “Michael?”

He jumped when she called him and she giggled and shook her head. “Huh?”

“What do you want?”

He shrugged and stuffed his hands in his pockets. “I dunno.” He said rocking back on his heels. “As of five minutes ago; I thought you only sold coffee.”

“Do you trust my judgement?”

“I always did Abigail.”

For a second, when he said her name, she stopped breathing because it sounded much better coming off his lips. She had always hated her name but the way Michael said it, made her love it in a ridiculous way. She smiled and nodded at him. “Okay, I’ll be back in a second.” She said before she disappeared to the back.

When she came back she handed him a tall glass with red liquid inside. Michael frowned and tried sniffing the liquid but his nose hit the ice cubes and he quickly pulled away. “What is it?” He asked glancing up at her. It was then he noticed her eyes. They were brown, like Calum’s but then, they didn’t look brown. They were sort of like Ashton’s eyes; his eyes were brown but they looked a different colour almost every time you stared at them. Her eyes were so light they were almost lighter than caramel. “Your eyes...” He said without thinking and she smiled.