Chapter 11

"You have perhaps heard rumors that the Brethren do not ride ordinary horses?" asked Tristan. The general looked at Tristan without comprehension. Tristan continued, "we have with us two unicorns, they are currently living in your stables in the guise of normal horses. If we can sneak one into a closet or adjacent room to where the Queen is meeting with her advisers, perhaps the unicorn's presence will ward the Queen from Visca's spells even in his presence. If so, perhaps Visca will reveal himself when his spells fail. If not, the only thing we risk is having to explain why we stuffed a horse into the closet. It is just a theory but it is all we have." The others thought it worth a try and immediately began plotting how to smuggle a horse into the castle proper.

The Queen was to meet with her advisers, nobles, and generals that evening in a small audience chamber in the north wing of the castle, just off this chamber was a small room used to conceal servants, until called upon to provide refreshments for the gathered company. The Queen's throne was against the wall dividing the smaller room from the rest of the chamber. More importantly, the small room had a door that opened on a flight of stairs which led to a hall that connected it to the kitchens, but at the bottom of the stairs was a door leading out into the courtyard. It was a perfect location for their experiment, if they could just get the unicorn out of the stable, across the courtyard, and in the door without being seen.

Several hours before the appointed meeting, Pallin, garbed as a common laborer, went to the stables and hitched up the carthorse which pulled the refuse wagon; Pallin led him to the infamous door and parked the wagon in front of it. He then spent the next hour hauling garbage from the kitchen to the wagon. Nobody looked twice at a menial doing his job while the door was nicely hidden from view. A short time later, Tristan went to the stable, put a halter on Taragon, and led him out into the courtyard. He walked him over to the refuse cart, which appeared to be a rather handy hitching rail, he then made a great show of inspecting his feet, looking in his mouth, checking his eyes, and going over every inch of the stallion. The general just then happened to walk by and caught Tristan up in a rousing conversation, they stood for no little time in front of Taragon in lively discussion. While the others talked, Pallin opened the door and beckoned the stallion inside. The unicorn pulled loose the poorly tied rope and quickly followed Pallin inside and up the stairs. Pallin shut him in the little room, told him to be patient. and resumed his trash hauling; Tristan and the general spent another fifteen minutes in small talk before parting company. Once he had finished his job, Pallin led the carthorse to the refuse pile, unloaded the trash, and returned to his chambers to dress for the meeting.

The three men hoped their 'prank' had not been observed by anyone, but it was the best they could contrive upon short notice. They met outside the entrance to the audience chamber shortly before the meeting was to begin. "I hope this works," said the general.

"Me too," replied Tristan, as they entered the audience chamber. The Queen was already seated, she looked very relaxed and alert, and smiled at them as they entered and took their seats facing her. Lord Visca came in shortly thereafter, he seemed surprised when he saw Tristan and Pallin alive, but said nothing and took his seat beside the throne. As they waited for the other guests to arrive, he seemed antsy: he was always adjusting the collar of his shirt, squirmed constantly in his chair, kept glancing nervously about the room, and frowning at nothing in particular, something certainly seemed to bother the man, Tristan hoped it was their equine friend in the next room. Once everyone arrived, the Queen stood and welcomed them to the advising session.

Began her Majesty, "as many of you are already aware, we have called most of the men back from the staging areas and have allowed them to return to their former trades. It was brought to my attention today that our allies across the mountains are progressing much more slowly than I was aware, Lord Visca?"