Chapter 15

The year was growing old and the weather was far from congenial for the travelers, for the wind blew cold from the north while the sky often threatened rain or snow. It would have been a miserable journey alone, but their shared company lightened the gloom. At last they reached Astoria, and after something warm to drink and a change into dry clothing, they were escorted to the Lady. She beamed with delight at the sight of them, "you have worked a miracle on the Order of the Unicorn! It may one day be worthy of the name! Very well done, but I am afraid I cannot let you rest quite yet. Especially you, Tristan. This Brotherhood of the Serpent is still out there and I need your help to bring it to its knees." Tristan bowed in acquiescence. "Now when will I have the honor of marrying you two?" asked the Lady, with a poor attempt at a serious expression.

"My Lady?" asked Tristan with a gasp. They had not even discussed marriage, though it was a hope that sometimes flitted through his mind. Arora looked equally stunned.

Arora replied in a tremulous voice, "we like each other very much, my Lady, but we have not even begun to think about such a commitment. We each have our duties and this is such a dangerous time..."

"Nonsense," laughed the Lady, "it is always a dangerous time and you will always have work to do. If you do not just go ahead and do it you will never get around to it. And if you wait until you are ready, you will wait forever. You may not have discussed it, but I can tell that both of you have thought about it?" Each nodded and blushed. The Lady smiled knowingly, "the two of you practically glow when you are in each other's company. If you are not together you will be distracted while apart, and that I cannot have. You must decide now whether you will say your vows or forever remain apart." They looked at each other and nodded, before turning to the Lady and saying they would like to be married. "Good," said the Lady, "let us begin." Neither had imagined when she said 'now' that she truly meant at that precise moment, but they were more than willing to take their vows then and there, the wedding proceeded quietly and quickly, and after, Tristan looked at his new bride and smiled broadly. She blushed but returned his smile. The Lady beamed.

The newlyweds were given three days alone together, but were then summoned again to the Lady for their next assignment. "Now that we have that messy business behind us," said the Lady, smiling warmly, "let us get back to work. As you both know, we have recently unearthed a most disturbing foe. Apparently, this Brotherhood is nearly as old as the Brethren and has been working against us from time immemorial though we knew it not. We know nothing about their infrastructure, their organization, or their location. That is what I want you two to discover. I need to know what they are up to and if we can put an end to them once and for all. Tristan, I am sorry your missions of late have been very vague, this one most of all, but you have done very well and I have no doubt the Master will lead you where you need to go. Arora, your days as a traveling Bard are temporarily at an end, for now you are in the service of the Messenger sect and will accompany and assist Tristan with his missions, though I believe your talents will come in handy as you travel. You can use them as a cover for your true mission, and they may even allow you to gain access where you could not otherwise venture. We are aware of the existence of at least one of these men of the Brotherhood, which is the servant that fled from Westria when Tristan was there. I also wonder if this renegade member of the Order's High Council is not also of their ilk. Perhaps by tracking down one or the other of these men you will find further evidence of the Brotherhood's existence? Otherwise I have no counsel to give you about where to begin or how to proceed." They bowed to the Lady and thanked her before leaving her presence.

Tristan wondered what had ever happened to the 'good old days' when his life was simple and the Lady said 'do this' or 'do that' and he went and did it and completed his mission. Now his course was hidden from him, everything seemed so vague and foggy. He was ecstatic about the prospect of traveling with Arora, but where were they to go? He had no leads as to where either the servant or the councilor had fled, short of walking into a den of evil and demanding to know where the Brotherhood's headquarters were, he had no ideas on how or where to begin and Arora was just as puzzled. Perhaps Nargath would know something or know someone who might know something? Arora had always wanted to meet a dragon and thought it was at least a place to start. They applied to the Lady and she gave her consent. They set off for the Northern Wilds, traveling under the guise of a wandering musician and her guard. The weather was typical for the colder months of the year, but the congenial company well made up for any lack in the pleasantness of the elements through which they traveled.