Chapter 10

Three days after parting with Turin, they came upon a small inn that evening, the innkeeper was more than happy to have a musician, of even middling talent, frequent his establishment. If she was remotely good, word would quickly spread bringing people from far and wide, much enriching himself if she stayed for any length of time. She was noncommittal when asked about staying for longer than a night, but he and his patrons were not disappointed in her abilities. Arora sang many songs of forgotten lore and tragic battles, of the Master and His dealings with men, of love and war and death. She held her audience captive, as if some spell transfixed them, only taking a break to eat a light supper, allowing her audience to return to their previous pursuits in disappointment.

A scruffy and poorly fed student stood up as Arora sat down, saying, "I thank the lady for her fine music, but now let us commence with something truly wonderful! I wish to expound upon my certain knowledge that the Brethren are out to conquer the world. Their belief that their ideas are the only ones that matter are outrageous and should not be tolerated in any part of the civilized world..." The boy continued on for some time without anyone paying him much heed. As he paused for breath after a particularly provocative statement, Arora stood up to play again. The audience came suddenly to life and the boy thought his points had finally hit home, but his look soured as he realized the true source of their joy; the innkeeper quickly shuffled him off to the kitchens and his waiting chores.

"I do not know how well I can follow such an interesting speech, but I shall try," smiled Arora lightly, as she began to play for what would be a very long night, before she packed away her instrument and retreated to their room.

The next morning as they were preparing to leave, the innkeeper met them in the stable and begged them to stay another night. "We must be going," said Arora gently, "though perhaps I may stop here again in the future." He looked at her so pleadingly that she almost gave in, but Tristan gently shook his head. "We look forward to visiting again," said Arora apologetically, "but we really must be going." The man gave them a disappointed smile but wished them well on their journey.

After he had gone, Tristan finished adjusting a strap on his saddlebags but suddenly dropped the strap and reached for his sword. Again, he heard the sound of rustling coming from the hayloft above. Soon the source of the ruckus revealed itself and Tristan released his grip on his weapon with a rueful grin, for it was the boy from the previous night. He clambered down the ladder and stood in the aisle, blocking their way. "Why are you not staying another night?" demanded the boy, "The innkeeper was desperate for your services, he would gladly have provided you with room, board, and a little pocket money! Some of us are desperate for such consideration."

Arora smiled sadly at the boy, "we have other places we must visit and cannot stay long at any one place. Neither are my services are for sale, rather they are for the benefit of all who care to listen, not to be sold to the highest bidder."

"I knew you were mad," scoffed the boy, "and this just proves it! What is the point of having a talent if you do not exploit it? I cannot believe the audience was so enraptured by your myths and children's fables! What use are forgotten histories and love ballads to the modern mind? It is all fabricated nonsense, emotional rubbish, and it has no practical use in the modern world. What people need is information and lots of it! With information comes understanding, with understanding comes tolerance, and with tolerance comes peace and prosperity! Your songs about love and war and honor are sentimental and outdated, and as long as the common people cling to such nonsense, there will be no true progress or intellectual awakening among the masses."

"What use to the 'common people' is your information if they cannot apply it to their daily lives?" asked Arora, "If you had some modern technique for growing potatoes, perhaps anyone who raises potatoes would actually benefit from your information, but why would a merchant, a blacksmith, or a farmer want to hear a plethora of obscure, and often erroneous, information on things that have nothing to do with their lives or their livelihoods, the past or the future of man?"