Chapter 12

Chapter 12 

At exactly 3.00 p.m. I was in the living room reading the Karamazov Brothers and watching over Yelena and Victor who refused to take their nap and were playing with blocks on the floor when a maid came in with her head bowed.

“Ms. Harley there is a shipment at the door for you, from Moscow” I slowly placed my book faced down and stood up.

“Oh, alright I’ll go get it thank you so much Fay” I smiled at her before she left the room with a silent ‘welcome’.

“Hey you guys, Aunt Harley’s got something at the door. You two want to come?”

“Yes please” Said Yelena but her eyes were still transfixed at the blocks in front of her.

“OOH! A present! Let’s go Aunt Harley!” With that Victor tugged at my hand but not before I managed to scoop Yelena into my arms as she squealed. Victor pulled us to the door and opened it with a little difficulty. There was a postman outside of the door with a clipboard in one hand and balancing a beautiful white box with a black ribbon on the other.

“Mrs. Harley Slater?” My eyes popped out at the last name and I was speechless, was that supposed to mean anything? But the postman started giving me a weird look and I recovered as quickly as I could.

“Oh, yes that would be me” I smiled.

“Alright, would you please sign here and then you can have your shipment”

“Sure” I signed the clipboard that Yelena was holding for me before Victor jumped for the box. The postman laughed and bent down to hand it to Victor who smiled happily as he held the large box with his two tiny hands.

“Thanks well I’m off, gorgeous kids and nice house you got here” I wanted to tell him that they weren’t my kids but instead I just smiled and waved a goodbye as he made his way down the stairs. I turned around and closed the huge doors behind me.

“Aunt Harley, can we open it?”  Yelena kicked at her feet and I put her down.

“Can we?” She pleaded with her eyes.

“Of course you can! You want to open it in my room?” they both nodded as they handed the box over to me so they could rush up the stairs while I tried to catch up with them.

“Slowly you guys! I don’t want you bruised or having any cuts for the party tonight” By the time I reached my room the door was already wide open and two kids had settled themselves in the middle of the bed. Victor was sitting up right while Yelena was on her stomach her head balanced on her hands. I settled the box in front of them and stepped back, and crossed my arms.

“Do you guys want to open it for me?” They nodded their heads like there was no tomorrow before I gave them a thumbs up and they clawed at the ribbons and the wrapping paper, until what was left was a black box in front of me.