Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I burst into the room and my eyes darted from side to side quickly calculating what I should bring along with me, I quickly shuffled inside, wiping my nose with the back of my hand as I shut the door as silently as I could and then locking it. I got straight to work, I grabbed the duffel I had brought along with me and threw it onto the bed. I darted to the bathroom and took off the breath taking dress and with one last longing look I hung it up on the hanger. Now only in my underwear I grabbed a comfortable bra and clasped them on before tugging my long skinny jeans and a white V-neck t-shirt. Last but not least I grabbed a cap with a Nike sign on it, a big gray hoodie and slipped on my black vans. I tried to do everything as fast as I could with my eyes blurry and my hands shaking, I had a few hundred dollars in my wallet from the last time I went on an outing with J so I tucked that safely deep in the bag and checking that I have everything I needed with me I put on my cap, my hoodie, slung the duffel over my shoulder and made my way out of the door. Without another word I sprinted downstairs and out the door of the Slater home. I turned around to look at the brightly lit house one last time before taking a deep shaky breath and heading to the gates. No one should miss me, J would be so much happier with Ivy, I can do this.

“Excuse me miss, what are you doing out here?” One of the guards approached me and I put my head down lower a bit and heightened my voice.

“Oh, hi sir I am going home now, my shift has ended my brother will be picking me up at the inn, it isn’t that faraway, you can check my bag if you want too? It’s just filled with clothes I needed to change into” The guard nodded as I unzipped the bag and he ruffled about the inside before giving me an uncertain nod and buzzing the gate open.

“Well have a nice night ma’am, just go right and it should be a ten to twenty minute walk, half an hour if you’re walking at a steady slow pace” I didn’t turn back I just lifted my hand in a wave and yelled a ‘thank you’.

After I had walked quite a distance I turned around to see that the guard was no longer in seeing distance. So I ran for it, I ran away from the person I loved, from the people I loved, but I felt it was the right thing, J and I would never be happy. He would be perfect with Ivy. They were good together, they broke up yes but they’ve gone on back together and now they were inseparable yet again. It was then, I was about fifteen minutes down the road that I remembered about Diana. She needed me and I was so selfish to have left her when she knew her husband was cheating on her and her marriage was failing. I wanted to run back and give her a mighty hug but I managed to stop myself from doing that. I needed to be strong I made this decision and I couldn’t go running right back.

That was three months ago, I was on next; Mystique had just finished her dance and was grabbing the last wad of cash from the pervy men. She exited through the curtain and gave me a hug. She always hugged me before a show to give me confidence. She was one of my best friends in this place. Angels Industries that’s where we were, a strip club in downtown New York, I knew J would never find me because he would never go to a strip club nor did he go to Tribeca. 

“Harley, you’ll do great okay? After this it’s done for the night I’ll be waiting here for you with Bane and then we can go help him clean up the bar or if we still have to work we can just serve” I nodded and smiled at her, its funny how even in a place like this you could find a best friend.