5 years later

Notes: did I really just put 5 years later so i didn't have to put chapter 17? Yes❤️
Also sorry this hasn't been updated in YEARS
Ive been in a bad place mentally but I'm back!
And this will be the last part! I'm sorry!
But I do have a plan to do a sort of prequel with their time on the run

Steve looked out at the lake. So many years and it still looked as beautifully tranquil as it did when the Avengers Compound was first made.
In the past 5 years, what was left of the Avengers all rebuilt the Compound. Except this one had been renamed: the Stark-Barton Compound.
Steve looked out onto the lake, feeling a sense of  accomplishment he hadn't felt in a long time.
"You know, there's a time and a place for brooding Mr Rogers. Time for work."
Steve smiled and turned to see Natasha behind him, hands on her hips, her hair in French plaits. She looked almost as beautiful as the day he'd met her, only she seemed more sure of herself, more confident, more loved. And he loved that about her.
"No brooding, just experiencing the beauty of nature." He stood up and walked over to her, his hand extended,"Come join me."
"Steve... I have work."
"It's not going anywhere."
He took her hand and let her go in front of him. He placed his head on her shoulder.
"I really should do some-
"Work can wait another day." He finished her sentence.
They stood in silence, just taking in the view.
It was them who were the first to think of the Stark-Barton Compound. A perfect way to honour their two best friends.
And it was there, after the building work had finished, where Steve proposed. And Natasha said yes.
"We're awfully lucky aren't we Nat?"
"So unbelievably lucky."
"I love you, you know that?"
"Don't be soppy Steve, it doesn't suit you." She teased.
He kissed the top of her head gently.
"MOMMY! DADDY!" screamed a high voice behind them.
They turned to see James Rogers, hair almost as red as his mother's,  running towards them,  as fast as his little legs would carry them
"Woah monkey. Calm down." laughed Steve, scooping him up. James giggled, his freckles gleaming in the sun.
Pepper rushed over to them.
"Sorry, he's a little rascal that one." She laughed.
"It's fine, we'll take him from here." Smiled Natasha.
Pepper nodded, before walking away. Steve smiled. Pepper definitely had changed since Tony's death but, then again they all had. And she loved James.
"James, why don't we sit down?" suggested Natasha.
And that's how they spent the rest of the evening. James spread on top of both of them, dozing off slightly. Natasha's head resting on Steve's shoulder.
"Thank you."
She was so quiet, Steve didn't really hear her at first.
"For what?"
"For giving me all I've ever wanted. For making me feel safe and loved. For never turning your back on me."
He smiled. Natasha was never the romantic one in their relationship. It still gave him butterflies
"Well, if we're saying thank you..." he said, taking Natasha's hand in his,"Thank you... for marrying me."
She grinned up at him, squeezing his hand, their wedding rings glowing in the setting sun.
She rested her head on his shoulder and ran her fingers through their son's hair.
And that was when he knew.
Steve  was finally at peace