#9 Don't Be Sad

"D-d-don't be sad,

"D-d-don't be sad,

I'm sorry, I can't seem to do anything right."

- Tate McRae

I stumbled backward and almost fell. My coworkers stared back at me, each with different emotions on their faces. There was shock, confusion, and envy.

"So, how long have you known Nic, Kyle, and Tim?"

"Is that how you got the job here? By smooching up to them?"

"I can't believe the girl was you, Emily!"

My face turned pale. Not wanting to deal with this drama, I spun heels around and headed for the stairs just to find Kyle running down, breathless. He was the last person I wanted to see today.

"There you are!" he burst. "I've been calling you 3 times!"

He grabbed my wrist, urging me to follow him, but I harshly pulled away from his grip. Kyle furrowed his forehead, confused, and I went passed him to get upstairs. Steam was rising up head.

But things didn't get any better in the reception area. Some employees were staring into the foyer of the reception, peering out to a Nic Wilson standing in front of the lifts. Dressed casually in a NASA hoodie and black pants, he was tapping one foot on the ground, waiting impatiently for something.

I groaned aloud when I saw him. By now, the anger inside of me had transformed to desperation. I was trapped.

When Nic saw me, he quickly approached me and grabbed my wrist. "We need to go," he insisted, his eyes clouded with worry.

"I don't want to go with you or Kyle," I said in between clenched teeth. I tried to forcefully get myself out of his grip, but Nic held my wrist firmly. His grasp was tight.

I continued to be defiant to the point Nic gritted his teeth. "Stop fighting me," he whispered, gesturing to the crowd that was staring intently at us.

He pulled me towards the direction of the lifts. Behind us, Kyle instructed all the bystanders to leave. When everyone was gone, Kyle irked an eyebrow towards Nic. "I'm trusting you with her," Kyle pointed out. "Don't fuck up, again."

Nic grimaced. "I caused all this. I'm going to solve it."

It's all done and dusted... What else can we do now?

The lift doors opened, and Nic pulled me towards the lift. As soon as the doors closed, my legs buckled. I slid down the glass lift walls and hit the ground hard. Tears began to brim my eyes, but I held it in. I refused to cry in front of my perpetrator.

Nic couldn't even face me. Once we reached the basement, Nic urged me to get up. Reluctantly, I got up but quickly tripped, stumbling on my own footing. He was close enough to catch me from falling. I gasped softly when I felt his arms circle around my stomach, to steady me.