Part 5

(Meredith, Andrew and the kids are in the living room watching a movie.)

Meredith and Andrew sat on the couch. The kids preferred to stay in front of it, where they made themselves comfortable with their blankets and pillows.

"Elle-Belle shall I bring you to bed, you look very tired" Meredith asked after Ellis rubbed her eyes and yawned multiple times. She knew that Ellis would fall asleep in the next few minutes, but she also knew that her daughter wanted to be a big girl and watch the movie till the end. So, she could have imagined that her answer would be no. However, she liked to give her the option.

"No" Ellis answered as expected then she added "but I want to sit on the sofa"

"Okay, sweetie, come up here" She picked her up and set her on the sofa next to her. Not even 5 minutes later Ellis fell asleep. She had snuggled up to Meredith.

Andrew smiled at Meredith, he liked to observe her with her kids. He was glad to be there right now, sitting on the couch with her and her youngest daughter and the two others in front of them, watching a movie together.

"What?" Meredith asked as she noticed Andrew smiling at her.

"I'm just glad to be here"

"Okay, kids, the film is over, now it's time for bed" Meredith tried to motivate her kids to go upstairs, but she knew that it needed more to really convince them to go to bed.

"But we are not tired Mommy" Zola and Bailey answered, then Zola turned her head to Andrew and added "Can you tell us another story about Italy?"

Andrew looked at Meredith because he wasn't sure if it was okay for him to tell them another story. It was already late and they had to go to school tomorrow.

Meredith nodded reassuringly in Andrew's direction and then said "But on one condition only, you both go to bed without hesitation when Andrew has finished ?"

"Yes"

"Okay, then I will start. I think you'll like this one…" he began looking into two happy and excited faces.

"You always say that" Meredith interjected, with a wide grin.

"That's true, but I think especially Zola will like this one. The story is about how I broke my arm when I was eight years old... My mother and I flew back to Italy during the summer break. We were there for 3 weeks. The second week, we went to the Colosseum. Do you know what the Colosseum is?"

"It is an old building" Bailey tried to describe it, then Zola added "It's in Rome, I once saw a picture of it."

"That's right" Andrew had to smile, he knew that the Colosseum was much more then an old building, but he was a little impressed, that both knew the Colosseum. When he was their age, he barely knew any landmarks outside his home country.

"So, I have been there before, because I grew up in Rome, but this time we were there with some friends. And I think you know what happens when your mother has friends over… They always talk…" He emphasized the always. He knew that almost every child felt the same way about this.

"That's true" they answered immediately and started to giggle.

Meredith rolled her eyes but also had to smile.

"I see that we agree on that one…" he smiled at them "So, you can imagine I was really bored by all the talking, taking pictures and waiting... When we finished our tour, we had to wait again, this time for our friends. And that was when I decided to make this a little more fun. At least, I thought it would be fun. I climbed over the barriers, which were standing at the entrance and exit of the Colosseum. But it was a temporary barrier made of metal bars. So, can you imagine what happened?

"You fell down?" Bailey asked curious.

"Almost right, I fell down with the barrier"

"That's funny" Bailey said, what made Zola laugh.

"I don't know if funny is the right description, Bailey" Meredith added.

"It was actually funny. Not at this moment, at least not for me. But now, when I think back to that day... I think it was funny too. But the best part was, that I was allowed to eat ice cream every day during the last week we were there. And in Rome, there is the best ice cream you can get." Andrew finished his story looking in two happy faces.

"Can you tell us a story tomorrow, again?" Zola inquired excited.

"I think we can set that up" Andrew replied and nodded reassuringly.

"Can you make it to bed by yourself?" Meredith asked her kids, before she added "I would like to stay down here a little longer, besides I don't want to wake Ellis yet."

"Yes, we are big enough" Bailey answered proud.

"Good night you two, I'll come and check on you later and don't forget to brush your teeth" she gave both her kids a kiss to their foreheads.

"Good night, Andrew" Bailey and Zola said before they left the living room.

"Good night you two"

Now it was Meredith who was just sitting there, with a big smile on her face, starring at Andrew. She was glad that the kids accepted him so fast. And that he accepted her kids, that he was patient with them, listening to their stories and telling them his stories. And on top of that she never had the feeling that he didn't want to do it.

"Thank you" Meredith started.

"What for?"

"For this evening, watching the film with us... You are so good with them and patient. I don't know why, but they love listening to your stories." She couldn't stop smiling at him. "...and me too" she added after a short moment.

"Don't thank me for that. I love spending time with you and your kids. And when I tell these stories, good memories are evoked, so, I'm glad to share them."

"A broken arm is a good memory?" She raised an eyebrow, but was still smiling at him.

"Well, not the broken arm itself. But I loved these vacations. I could see my father and my sister. Also I could spend a lot of time with my mother. And believe it or not, but it was actually very peaceful, when we were in Italy. My parents tried to stay out of each other's way... so they didn't fight. And I was able to see my family and friends and I did not have to speak English. I hated it back then, I wasn't good at it and in the States there was always this pressure to speak English, especially in school. So, yes, even the day I broke my arm, is a good memory."

Meredith took his hand as she said looking in his eyes "I'm glad you still decided to stay in the States"

"Me, too" he leaned towards her to kiss her gently trying not to wake Ellis, who was still leaning against Meredith holding her arm.