Part 11

"I love you" (Meredith)

"I love you too" (Andrew)

Did she really say these three little words. Andrew put his phone back in his pocket, while he tried to figure out where he could get his baggage back. Usually that wasn't a problem, he knew the airport in Rome, he was there several times before. But today. Today was different. The most important person…. For a moment he wondered when that happened. Not even a year ago, they barely knew each other. And now… now he was in love with her. Since Jo's and Alex's wedding his feelings for her grew from day to day. And he knew for a while that he loved her, that he never felt that way about anyone else. That there was something that he never felt in his prior relationships. And not only that. No. Meredith just told him that she loved him.

He wanted to tell her so often the last weeks. When they spent the night together or when they were just holding hands. Somehow that became a thing between them. And he didn't want it to change. It was a perfect way to be near her when it wasn't the right time for something more. Or when they kissed… With every kiss he was even more sure about his feelings. Or in all those little moments when they just stared at each other. When they spent the evening watching a movie with her kids. He loved observing her with her kids. Or when he got more integrated and they brought the kids to bed together. When he told all of them a story and she just sat there giggling at the things he told them. That giggle. And then when the kids where asleep and she just smiled at him. In these moments he was almost sure that she felt the same, but he never said it. Because he wasn't sure if she was ready to hear it. And now, now she told him that she loves him.

In the morning (Seattle)

"Mommy, why are you still sleeping?" Bailey asked opening Meredith door with Zola and Ellis standing behind him.

"Hey, you three. Come in here. Why are you already up?" Meredith answered sleepily not really sure what was going on.

The kids went over to Meredith to give her a good morning hug while Zola informed her that it was already time to stand up "It's 9 a.m.. We're always up at this time at the weekend. Why aren't you?"

"Oh…" It took Meredith a few seconds to realize that she was the one who was late. "I was up very late and… I think I overslept…"

"What were you doing?" Bailey asked curious.

"Well, you know Andrew had to fly to Italy… And he called me when he landed there. And because of the time difference it was already night here."

"I miss Andrew. When will he be back?" Bailey wondered.

"I miss him too. But he won't be gone long. He said he'll be back soon" after a moment she added "Why don't you go downstairs and I'll meet you there in 5 minutes and then we'll make breakfast?"

"Mommy, since when do you make breakfast? You hate cooking!" Zola was curious.

"I don't know, I feel like I want to cook today. You can help me. I think you know already more than me. You all helped Andrew so often!"

Her kids started to giggle and left her room. They were already on her way down, when she got up and put on some clothes others than her pajamas. Zola was right she hated cooking, but today. Today was different. The last weeks she thought a lot about Andrew and how much he meant to her. And, yes, she was scared of telling him. She wasn't someone, who says these words to everyone. There was just one Person besides Andrew she said these words to. So, it was a big step for her to say them to someone else than her husband. But the last weeks she knew that she found her second love and it took her a while to face her fears. But now she knew it was worth it, she was still a bit scared and she'll always be. It's in her nature. But she somehow feels relieved and happy that she said them again. And it felt even better to hear them again. And to know that there was someone who truly loved and cared about her. So, today she will try to use this happiness and make breakfast for her kids.

2 days later

Andrew had landed a few hours ago. He already called Meredith to let her know he was fine. He went to Meredith's house right away. He was a little tense. He missed her so much and he couldn't wait to see her and the kids again. But, there was also the other thing. She told him that she loved him and now it was the first time they saw each other after these words. And somehow, he was excited. He stood in front of the door to her house and before he was able to ring the bell one of her kids already opened the door. It was Ellis. And not even a second later she was around his leg hugging him.

"Hey Elle-Belle"

A short moment later the rest of the family was at the door and greeted him. Bailey came with a cake they baked for Andrew. On the cake was written 'We missed you Andrew'. And from the writing he assumed that every word was written by someone else. He tried to figure out which part was written by whom. Most likely Ellis wrote 'We' because it was the shortest one. And he knew that she can't write yet. And he has to smile when he imagined her insisting to write something, too. Because by now, he knew that Ellis hated it, if she was left out. The 'missed' was written by Bailey he thought. He knew his handwriting from helping him with his homework. And of course, he knew Meredith's handwriting. So, the 'you' he could easily assign to her. And the last word 'Andrew' was written by Zola. He knew that, because Zola wrote the first letter of his name swinging. He had seen these swinging letters before on cards or pictures Zola has drawn for her mother, when she was younger.

Andrew was overwhelmed by the welcoming and couldn't stop smiling at them.

When they were all inside and kids went back to the kitchen it was Meredith's turn to greet him. She wasn't able to say something because she was so relieved and happy that he was finally back. She just pulled him into a hug . After a few seconds she looked up at him and kissed him. Her hands around his neck.

She eventually found her words again "We really missed you"

"I missed you, too" He emphasized the 'you 'what made Meredith smile.

"You noticed?"

"That you wrote the 'you'? Of course I did" he smiled at her and then he added "Thank you, and your kids. That was really a great surprise!"

"Well, it was the idea of the kids. They love 'you'… And… I love 'you'."