Chapter XIX

Sabrina 

She was dressed like any other common infantry of Rulerstead. Her hair was tied into a tight bun, hidden behind a cloak which even shrouded her face in absolute shadow. She killed her own men while steadily moving towards where Newtriko's tent lay. Beside her moved Betreal, second-in-command to her. The camp was surrounded by a ring of at least 1,000 veteran soldiers. Near the tent stood Taperend, vigilant and heavy on his middle. One thing she had learnt was to not underestimate Taperend.

A spasmodic shock hit her and she stumbled a bit. Another person of power had died; the spasm to her tongue felt dark yet tasteless ,maybe a bit dank too – Micura had died! She had to act soon or else other soldiers from her side would realise the same thing and run away like cowards. 

The plan was unfolding – it had to happen now or all would be lost!

The blue beam of crackling magic was cutting through the army and moving rapidly towards Newtriko's tent. Just outside the ring of soldiers, the beam lingered. Sabrina flung her infuriated gaze to the beam's origin. She narrowed her eyes. She asked to herself, aghast, is that smug, idiotic, wizard creature smiling at me? She stared and saw Nameless staring back exactly at her and even from the distance she could see the amusement in its eyes. I am going to kill it once this war ends, she decided. 

In a blink of an eye the beam did a quick swirl around the tent and all thousand were gone! Nothing remained of them but ash – no flesh, no metal, no bones! Only Taperend stood in her way. 

She and Betreal threw back their cloaks. It were just 50 meters of soulless land that she had cross. Taperend turned towards them, staring into her eyes. His hands were buried in the cuffs of his sleeve. There was something oddly menacing about it.

She didn't care! It was a do or die situation! She rushed the distance, dashing straight towards Taperend. He kept staring at her with an expressionless face. She was extremely near to him, she leapt blade outstretched to slash Taperend's face. He didn't show a hint of fear.

Her blade stopped inches from Taperend's face, intercepted by another blade, gleaming and radiating light. It was Trevan's!

How had she not seen him arrive? Betreal saw the opening and attacked eagerly with his longsword. Tssh! A sharp clash resounded.

There stood Newtriko with a half-sword, holding back Betreal with great difficulty!

Had Newtriko become a worthy king? Had this terrible war hardened him? Was she making a mistake? She was beyond asking questions and doubting her actions. She had to shut her mind and only execute the plan! It had to succeed! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trevan

Taperend observed them, not lifting a finger, as Trevan and Newtriko were battered by Sabrina and Betreal. Swooshing of wings interrupted their fight. It was Hapem riding a dragon. Hapem faced towards Trevan and declared, "Take care of Betreal; I have a family to avenge!"

Hapem jumped of the dragon and spiraled down the hanging chains. Upon reaching the ground he yanked the links, a 10 foot chain splitting from the original one. He pulled back his arm and flung it back, the chain-whip rising and cracking in the air. From a scabbard attached on his back he pulled out a three feet long block of iron. He held it in front of his torso and then left it, the block hung in the air. 

Sabrina threw three daggers, cutting quickly through the air. At that moment, Hapem muttered a cantrip and touched a finger to the block, which started spinning violently, acting as a semi-shield. The dagger crashed against the shield and fluttered onto the desert floor. Trevan and Betreal's sword fight, both being too exhausted to cast any magic, had moved further away from the tent. Trevan caught occasional glances of the majestic battle between Sabrina and Hapem. 

A jet of pale energy blew towards Hapem, whose magical shield automatically repositioned to block the spell. Hapem cracked his whip, snaking to the air. Its edge hit a wall of force, losing its momentum yet shattering the barrier. Hapem cracked his whip again, putting his entire body's force behind it. 

The blow succeeded, the chain coiling against her neck. He tugged the chain, causing Sabrina's body to lurch forward while he himself moved forwards. The battle was now on a short range. Sabrina slit of the chain wrapped around her neck with a dragon, gasping for breath. She isn't going to survive longer, it's only a matter of time, determined Hapem. 

His eyes caught a spear whizzing through the air, heading for Sabrina. "No," he yelled aloud, abandoning the spinning, metal shield's safety. He rushed with a longsword in hand, earnestly wishing that he could strike before the spear.

Sabrina's eyes held amusement as Hapem defenselessly ran towards her. Trevan turned in time to see both – Sabrina's and Betreal's – face to turn pallid as the spear struck her back. She fell to her knees, impassive with pain. A breath later Hapem flew in swinging his sword to cut her head off, her body falling backwards.

It was wrong, unfair. Hapem should have gotten the duel all to himself. The owner of the spear was in grave danger. "No!" "No!" "No!" he stabbed her body after each 'no'. Trevan could here sounds coming out of Hapem's mouth, inaudible and undistinguishable due to the large sobs and tears, pouring out of Hapem's eyes. An infuriated gaze flung to the soldier who had swung the spear, Hapem picked his sword and glared at him.

The soldier is going to die, Trevan thought to himself. A dagger flew through the air, embedding deep into the soldier's chest. Trevan turned around to see a frozen and petrified Betreal. Trevan pointed his shining great-sword towards Betreal's neck and muttered a single word out of pity, "Run!"