hot chocolate (mmm...)

December 24th (3:12pm)

“It’s so warm in here,” she sighs, clapping her gloved hands together.

“Savour it while you can,” Jesse tells her. “Because we’re going out there again.”

“Why?!” Noelle gapes at him.

He shakes his head at her with fake disapproval. “The snow and cold is part of the whole holiday charm, honey.” He smiles at her. “But now we’ll have out hot chocolate to go with!”

They’re standing in line to get their drinks at the local café. Of course, they aren’t the only ones with the idea, and the little café is packed with people in large winter coats chattering about their plans for later on. It’s not as noisy as the crowds out by the stores, but it’s still loud and filled. They’ve been waiting for ten minutes now, and are still only half-way to the counter.

“There are so many people,” she mumbles, moving back to avoid being mowed over by a mother and her two toddlers on their way out the door.

“Yeah. That’s how you know the chocolate’s good. Besides,” he nudges her playfully, “can’t you feel the excitement in the air? It’s almost electric!”

“I guess I’m just not a people person…” She looks at him. “If Christmas is about being squished to death by people, then why are you out and about alone, Jesse?”

“I could ask you the same thing,” he responds. He looks away from me. “I wasn’t actually supposed to be alone; I was supposed to meet someone… But something came up.”

“Huh?”

He stares at the fake poinsettias pinned around the café. “Long story short, we broke up.”

Noelle bites her lip, looking down at her boots. Of course he’d have a girlfriend. (Well, ex-girlfriend, now.) So she isn’t a first choice. Duh, they’ve only known each other for a whole two hours. She tries not to think like that, because, after all, he’s still standing here, right? He just wants company, but whatever. Didn’t she want the same?

“So why aren’t you home with your family?” She winces as soon as the words leave her mouth. Now he’s going to think she’s trying to get rid of him. She’s a bit amazed to realize that she actually doesn’t want him to leave.

Jesse shrugs. “I’m not exactly great with cooking and preparing. Plus, no one knows that I’ve, uh, returned to single status. I didn’t tell my family that I was going to be a bachelor on this day, so I went out anyway.” He looks back at Noelle. “We broke up last month.”

“Oh.” Why does he look like it’s important for her to know that?

“Anyway,” he continues, smiling again. “I’m not alone now. I’ve got you.”

She loses her train of thought completely. The way he said “I’ve got you” and the way he looked at her when he said it… it sends a shiver down her spine that has nothing to do with the cold.

“Now I get to ask you,” Jesse says, as they inch forward. “Why aren’t you with your family?”

Noelle tugs on her cap, avoiding his eyes. Then she sighs, deciding that it doesn’t hurt to tell him the truth. He was honest with her, after all. “My parents are divorced. They’re very busy and…” She shrugs, acting nonchalant. “I guess they both think I’m with the other or something.”

“Well, damn, no wonder you don’t believe in Christmas.” She glances up to find him staring at her with sadness and anger… at her parents? “Christmas is a lot of things, but I know it’s not about being cold and spending it alone. That’s the worst thing ever, to have to be alone at Christmas!”

Noelle looks at him, and to her surprise, she starts to feel choked up. She knew it was wrong to wake up this morning and have to make breakfast for one. She knows it’s far from great to have to return to an empty house with no lights to welcome her and she knows it’s horrible to wake up the next morning having to look at that sad excuse of a Christmas tree and the single present she bought herself. But no one has ever told her outright that it’s not right.

Jesse sees her frozen expression, and softens his own. “Hey. I’m not going to let that happen, okay? We’re changing that. You’re not going to be alone this Christmas. Not anymore.”

She allows a tiny smile at him, hearing his kind words, but it still doesn’t erase the dark and cold house waiting for her. Sooner or later Jesse will have to return to his house and laugh along with his warm and loving family, and she’ll be left by her lonesome once again.

They’re at the counter now, and Jesse orders two hot chocolates, with whipped cream and cinnamon, to go. They stay silent while they wait, but Jesse stays close to her to let her know he’s not forgetting about her. They get their beverages and head out the door.

Outside, the winter chill hits them harshly, and Noelle holds her hot cocoa with both hands, absorbing its heat.

“Drink it,” urges Jesse. “Just careful not to burn your tongue.”

“There are tiny marshmallows!” she squeals after taking her first sip. The blob of whipped cream bobs in the warm liquid like a floating island, but at least it’s staying on the surface. The marshmallows swim alongside it, keeping it company.

“Ah, you’ve found the hidden treasure!” Jesse cries dramatically. He grins at her. “Happy?”

She nods, grinning back. Her worries and dark thoughts have melted away for now. All the matters are the hot chocolate, Jesse, and her, being here, on the snowy sidewalk. The chill tickles her cheeks but she can’t stop grinning.

“Now we walk through these enchanted streets like we are tourists from halfway across the world,” Jesse explains. He sweeps his hand around them. “Oh, the beauty of the rainbow flashing lights! Oh, the slippery snow!”

“It’s slushy, now,” Noelle cuts in. “Sorry, party-pooper.”

Jesse shakes a finger at her. “Try harder.”

She scrunches up her nose, thinking. “This is the most brilliant hot chocolate I’ve ever tasted!” she exclaims with enthusiasm. “So creamy and rich, it sets the perfect mood for the reindeers and sleigh, and don’t forget the off-key singing of friends getting drunk too early in the day!”

He laughs. “I wish I had brought my camera.”

“But then you won’t be able to drink in these wonderful sights!” She holds up her cup. “Nor this little cup of heaven!”

Jesse smiles at her. “You do have an excellent point, my fair lady!” He grabs her hand. “Let us go enjoy ourselves in this winter wonderland!”

She laughs, letting him tug her along. She even forgets to blush about the hand-holding, or the staring and knowing smiles from the other people in the crowd as they walk by.

There is beauty in the cold. If you have someone to keep you company, keep you warm. If you have someone to make you smile.

so that last part was cheesy -_- oh well. happy holidays.

song: Hot Chocolate from the Polar Express! because i love that movie and it's hard making metaphors out of hot chocolate, you know?

CAN YOU HEAR THE BELLS RING? do you believe?