the meaning of xmas

December 24th (7:12pm)

After all the food has been brought out and everybody has found a spot at the table, Anne takes her husband’s hand and says, “Now let us give thanks and say a little prayer…”

Noelle, never a religious person, shifts uncomfortably in her seat next to Jesse. But as she glances around the table, she hears people calling out the rest of the little prayer:

“We’re thankful for food and family here on this day-----”

“And there’s enough snow for snowball fights----”

“And that the electricity bill is paid so we’re all warm-----”

“And the fact that Anne is a good cook----”

“And Santa’s sleigh and reindeer so he can come tonight-----”

“And the end of this prayer,” finishes Anne, clapping her hands together. “Let’s eat.”

“We’re not exactly a family for traditional prayers,” Jesse explains to Noelle as he spoons some potatoes onto his plate. He puts some on hers, too.

“Noelle,” says the grandma sitting across from her. “Such a pretty name… Shame you don’t believe in Christmas though.”

“You don’t believe in Chwistmas?” gasps Jenny while her twin gapes at Noelle, a chunk of carrot falling out of her open mouth.

Noelle gives a sheepish smile. “It’s not that I don’t believe… it’s more like I don’t understand?”

“What’s not to understand?” booms an uncle. “Christmas is food. Pass the potatoes, Robert.”

Robert, a cousin of about ten years old, passes the said vegetables, and turns back to Noelle. “It’s about presents,” he says seriously, and all the kids nod.

“No!” Jenny holds up a hand. “It’s about Santa, and Wudolph, and Fwosty and---”

“It’s about snow,” Aunt Mel cuts in, helping herself to some turkey stuffing.

“It’s about being out of the snow,” the grandma says, piling some beans onto Jesse’s plate.

“Guys, we all know it’s about hot chocolate and cookies,” Jesse tells everyone, scooping some of the beans onto his sister’s plate.

“It’s about being together,” Anne smiles, “like a family.”

“Laughing and talking,” her husband pipes up, “and making bad jokes.”

“Giving is weceiving!” exclaims Jenny. Josie gives her a high-five.

“Wishes and dreams,” a cousin named Ashley adds.

“Joy and happiness,” her brother continues.

“Christmas is about love,” concludes Anne. She smiles at Noelle. “Eat up, darling, there’s plenty for everyone.”

Noelle nods shyly and obediently takes some of the rice she was offered.

“See, my family could have taught you all you needed to know about the meaning of Christmas,” Jesse smiles at her.

“Well, it sure means a lot,” she responds. “This is very good food, by the way.”

“I’m glad you like my cooking,” Anne says, beaming down the table. “You girls always seem to worry about your figure, which is perfect, by the way.” She barely leaves time for Noelle to blush before she goes ahead and mentions, “Cathy never ate much, always fussing about some diet, though I don’t see why, that girl is stick-thin already. I never knew if it was her or my cooking-----”

“Mom.” Jesse shoots her a look to shut her up.

Noelle tries not to look like it bothers her to be compared to Cathy. It’s not like she has a right to be jealous. She doesn’t know the girl, after all. Anyway, ‘Jesse + Noelle’ doesn’t exist; it’s just a Christmas thing.

As they finish their dessert (tiramisu, yum!) and clean their plates, the twins come up to Noelle and beckon her to come closer.

“Yes?” She kneels down to their height.

They giggle and shoot each other a sly glance. “You’re pwetty.”

“You’re pretty, too,” Noelle tells them, smiling at their shiny faces.

“Do you weally don’t believe in Chwistmas?” Jenny asks her.

“That’s sad,” Josie chimes in.

Noelle nods. “Well, I’m learning to believe again.”

“J&J, what are you saying to Noelle?” Jesse swoops in and lifts both of them into the air. They squeal with joy. Noelle watches the siblings’ interactions with a small smile on her face.

Family. Love. Is that Christmas?

When he finally sets his sisters down, they run away, but not before whispering in Noelle’s ears, “We like you bettuh than Jess’s last gullfwiend!” They hug her briefly before rushing off to join everyone in the living room.

Jesse eyes her warily. “Alright, what did they say?”

She plays dumb. “What did who say?”

“My sisters. Don’t trust their little angelic faces, they’re tiny little devils, I tell you.”

She laughs. “They’re not that bad.” Or maybe she doesn’t know, seeing as she’s an only child.

“So what did they say?” He stares at her with a slight crease in his forehead, extrememly curious and just a bit anxious.

“Relax. They didn’t say anything bad about you…”

“That’s what worries me,” he sighs dramatically as they move toward the living room too.

They watch everyone play charades. The kids are loving it, giggling as they shout out random guesses and point at the adults stumbling around waving their arms in frustration. Everybody is laughing, being silly with each other and not minding at all. Noelle observes with a feeling she hasn’t felt in a long time.

Contentment.

Finally, Jesse nudges her lightly. “Hey, wanna go somewhere?”

She looks up at his now-familiar smile. She nods, and together they slip quietly out the door to the sound of laughter.

don't you just wish you could've been there for that dinner? because i'm sure hungry. mmm...
song: Santa Baby cover by Taylor Swift because i find that song funny :P