V | Conclave

V. Conclave

There were several rational explanations of Princess Salome's disappearance, but the fact that she was last seen with someone with a jaguar mask told otherwise.

A break-in, and a costume missing. The major lead I had as of the moment was the Opera House which I planned to visit.

Before the events of the day unfolded, I recalled the words of Princess Salome.

"I don't want to be here. There's this energy that I despise."

And she lived in the castle, surrounded by that energy. My head ached from attempting to connect the dots.

Princess Salome did mention being rebellious which led to her being sent away to India by her mother.

Perhaps, she ran away? But why? Why run away instead of solving the mystery that involved the death of your sister?

If she did run away, I was certain it would be somewhere in India.

Shoving out the thoughts of the Crown Heiress which induced pain in the head, I peered forward to the day with reluctance.

Rosalie, and Aunt Genevieve were downstairs, in the living room. In her wonted morning practice, Aunt Genevieve's eyes were stuck to the newspaper. Beside her was a table that carried a plate; it contained dead cigarette butts. They once were longer, with that sizzling ember light at the tip, billowing smoke. Then, when they were no longer with purpose, they were abandoned and laden with ash.

Vixen was the mere brand of cigarette that Aunt Genevieve would purchase. She described that it was different than other cigarettes she had used, or in her words, experienced. It sent her to a spiraling ecstasy; a psychedelic trance of temporary bliss, and satisfaction.

Rosalie, on the other hand, disliked the way her mother smoked around the manor, leaving behind wisps of odor. She rose from her seat, and greeted. "How's your sleep, Ara?"

"It was a dreamless sleep," I told her. "No nightmares whatsoever."

"Great! Because I have received another cordial invitation that we take ourselves to the Hall of Parliament." She announced.

"What is it about this time?"

Aunt Genevieve chimed in, putting down her newspaper. Her abrupt gesture caused Rosalie to scowl, in a way she made sure that she wasn't seen by her mother. "Governor Philipps has decided, with the approval of the other representatives, that the alternative course of action be taken. Usually, we'd do the traditional coronation but since we don't have any Royals, we are left with one option."

"And that option is a monarchy election," I completed.

"You've read your books well," Rosalie said with a smile on her face.

"According to the books I've read, a monarchy election has happened once in Helmburn history. King Alistair Ashworthe won the competition, which bred a new bloodline of Royals," I said.

"Which has now severed when Queen Amice, and Princess Salome disappeared." Aunt Genevieve put her newspaper up, obstructing her face from view. "Enjoy your day today, ladies."