Epilogue

Epilogue

April 15, 1893

Faded in the background were the noise of nobles indulging in the luxury of the Twilight Ball. Meanwhile, in the reflection of the vanity mirror, Queen Amice adored herself as she laced her neck with jewelry.

By the doorway, Sir Quint stopped, and rapped his knuckles against the door. "Your Majesty? The ball is to commence."

There was a sinister smile stretched across her face, tugging her lips upwards. She masqueraded the darkness in her with a pure white gown. Those glittering sequins hid a layer of lies, of deception, of dark intrigue. She knew what she did.

She was not like Governor Philipps, or Lord Jake. She was different. A different kind of monster.

"Sir Quint, how do I look?" She asked with an expectant gaze pressed upon him.

He gaped in surprise, then grinned. "Absolutely daring, your Majesty."

"Soon, you'll no longer call me by my status, but by my name. Amice. How beautiful does that sound?" She stared at the ceiling, imagining a manifestation of her reverie immersed visions. "You and me... in distant lands... away from the kingdom..."

"I can't wait. But that means I'll have to kill Arnold... and maybe, his wife." Sir Quint said with hesitation in his voice.

"You'd do anything for me, right?"

He was reluctant, and way past the point of no return. He had a choice to make, and he had chosen what to do. He thought of the consequences, but leaned toward the better side, the life with Amice that severed the bond between them as right-hand and Queen. Soon, they would just be a couple.

"I will, your Majesty."

Queen Amice made final touches to hair before rising to her feet. "Good." She strode toward the door, then tenderly pecked the cheek of Sir Quint.

With a smile in her voice, she said, "Let the show begin."

The End.

* * *

Author's Note

Thank you so much for reading Lair of Luxury! Writing this story has been a long process, but it was worth it! I am proud to see the final product because it means so much to me.

From a ball turned nightmare... to solving deadly mysteries... to shocking revelations, the story finally ends here.

I hope you guys have had as much fun as I was writing it. Until then!