1

Kayla Anne

Flashback:

9 years old:

"Mommy, I have to go, Minique is gon be waiting, please stop taking pictures." I pleaded.

"But my baby just started a new year."

"Take a picture when I graduate, now come on." I said and she smiled and nodded.

"What I'm gon do with you lil girl?" She asked as she got in the car.

"I don't know bout later in life, but right now you gon take my ass to school." I said, then gasped cause I said a bad word. "Mommy, don't pop me."

"I wasn't gonna, you a big girl, if them the words you wanna use, then use em." She said and I looked at her confused, like bitch what?

We pulled into my school parking lot and I was so excited to see my bestest friend in the whole wide world Dominique, we been bestest friends since she threw a crayon at my forehead in kindergarten.

"Kayla!" I heard as I got out the car, I looked to my right and Dominique was getting out of her mommy's car.

"Minique!" I yelled and ran to her, giving her the biggest hug in the world. Our parents waved at each other before leaving the parking lot, we walked in talking about what we did over the summer, mainly what Dominique did over the summer, because she went all the way to California. Eventually the beginning bell rang and we had to go to the gym for morning announcements.

"Welcome back, students. I hope you all enjoyed your summer, today is going to be a great first day for all new and familiar faces. Now please stand for the pledge of allegiance." The principal said, and we all stood, trying to say the pledge. After that we were dismissed to our new classrooms.

"Oh, I forgot my lunchbox in the gym." I told Dominique.

"Want me to go get it with you?" She asked, I shook my head and told her to go on ahead. I heard sniffling coming from under the bleechers and got confused. I peeked my head under and saw a boy probably in my grade looking down at his shoes crying.

"Whatchya doin down there?" I asked, and he snapped his head up, wiping his tears quickly.

"I dropped sum unda hea, now mindya business." He said, and I bugged my eyes.

"Well excuse me fa tryin ta help yo sorry ass." I said, letting my ghetto come out.

"Yeen gotta be a bitch about it." He said.

"Watch that callin me outside my name Mister Potato Head." I said, commenting on the dents he had in his forehead. He busted out laughing and I cracked a confused smile.

"I think I like you, me and you gon get along well."

"Mhm, well see." I said. "Now why you was crying?" 

"People make fun of me cuh I'm poor."

"Its the bottom 38, we in that Nawf,  erybody here poor in they own ways, if they got money its becuh they mama a stripper or they daddy run the street, or they living of welfare. Ain nun to cry about, just spit back with callin they mama a dirty hoe, that's what I do." I said, and he smiled.

"Yeah, you right.  Now lets get to class." He said and he walked to class, talking about what he did over the summer.