2

Kayla Anne:

Flashback:

13 Years Old:

"Nana, I'm going to Kentrells house."

"Did you ask Ms. Sheronda?" My Nana asked.

"Nana, she not gon care, I'm her favorite." I said.

"Ight, be back before 11." She said, and I nodded, grabbing my iphone 6. After walking about 15 minutes to the next block over I made it to Kentrell house. I walked in and all guns was aimed at my head and body.

"Damn niggas." I said.

"Language." Sheronda said,

"Sorry mamas." They all put they guns down or back in they pants.

"Where my hug?" Kentrell said.

"You don't get one today. Ben does." I said.

"Yay, I'm special." Ben said as I gave him a hug.

"And Kd." and down the list I gave everyone but Kentrell a hug, I even gave Kendell a hug, and me and Kendell don't get along that well, we do but not all the time.

"You really gon be like that?" He asked and I shook my head, he opened his arms and I gave him a bigger hug. I loved his hugs, he always made me feel safe, he always smelt so good.

"WE'RE JUST FRIENDS!" My brain screamed at me.

"What we gon do today?" Kd asked.

"We can go see a movie." Ben suggested.

"Ion know bout y'all but I need some weed." Babyjoe said and I scrunched my face at him.

"Niece, you ain't never even tried weed before, so stop judging it." Babyjoe said.

"You right, but I still think we a bit young to be doing all the shit we be doing." I said.

"We black teens growing up in the hood, what do you think they expect?" Three said.

"I know, but thats what they expect. They expect me to have a kid before I'm grown, they expect y'all to get arrested for felony charges before you even know what felony means, they expects us to gang bangers and drug slangers, they expect us to live off welfare and have 50 kids. They expect y'all to be absent fathers so the mother depends more on the government. That's what they expect, but we gotta prove that not all black people are like that, just like they're trying to prove that not all white people are racist and not all cops are bad. We gotta be better for them to stop treating us like monkeys who deserved to be caged." I said.

"Well damn, become the next Jonnie Cochran." Kentrell said.

"Yeah, so you can defend us in court." Ben said.

"I wouldn't be able to do that. It would be a rigged testimony and trial. I've known y'all practically my whole life so I wouldn't be able to fairly judge you." I said, and they nodded.

"Back to the question: what are we doing today?"

"And just like that, my good points are lost." I sighed and plopped down on Bens lap, Kentrell looked at me confused and I shrugged.

"Guh you got a bony ass." Ben said.

"But it been getting fatter." Babyjoe said.

"Uncles aren't supposed to look at they niece that way." I pouted and he looked down at his shoes.

"WHAT ARE WE DOING TODAY!" 

"Quit yelling in my house." Mama Sheronda yelled. I started laughing, fucking hypocrite.