chapter fifteen.

(1x04 Hope Is Not The Goal pt. 1)

Lilah sits beside her sisters during her fathers announcement, her gaze trained forward as she shifts uncomfortably; feelings Hope's heated stare on the side of her face. She turns her head and meets the girl's eyes, a small smile causing her lips to twitch upward. Hope raises her eyebrows in question as if to say, what are you looking at? and Lilah scoffs out a laugh, shaking her head.

"Hey," Lizzie stresses. "Dad's about to start, what are you doing?"

Lilah's attention is ripped from Hope, her eyebrows furrowed. "Hm?"

"I said. Dad's announcement is about to start. Pay attention."

Although she genuinely doesn't care to hear what her father has to say, Lilah doesn't want to face the wrath of her sister; so she does as requested.

"Given our recent influx of monsters," Dr. Saltzman begins, his voice loud. "Sheriff Donovan and I have decided we need to take drastic action. Please give him your full attention."

Sheriff Donovan takes Alaric's place behind the podium, his eyes trailing over the array of students. "Like Dr. Saltzman was saying, local girls Dana Lilien and Sasha Stoteraux didn't come home last night." He motions for his deputies to begin passing out photos of the missing girls. "Dana sometimes skips town for a few days to party, but this is a first for Sasha." He clenches his jaw, a worried look making his face twist before he steps away, nodding to Alaric.

"Thank you, Sheriff Donovan," he says. "Now, while the knife is away with Dorian and things are quiet on his end, it won't hurt to assume the worst. If Dana and Sasha happened to be found by monsters..." He trails off, letting the teenagers make their own assumptions. "Now, I'll need a few of you to volunteer to go to Mystic Falls High under the guise of an exchange program meant to improve relations between our schools..." He sends a pointed look to his twins, "Which, unfortunately, is necessary, given recent events. Now, I give you permission to compel them, to gather materials for locator spells, because any information we can get will make a difference."

Lizzie, with a look of determination, stands to her feet and buttons her blazer before turning to face her fellow students. "Well, I guess that I can set aside my differences with Dana for a day... because that is what heroes do." She turns to face her father, "So, I volunteer as tribute."

Lilah rolls her eyes at her sisters dramatics, staying silent.

Kaleb stands from his chair, "I'm in."

A second later, as expected, MG offers himself up as well. "I'm in, too."

Lilah's eyes widen when Hope stands up, a blank expression on her face. She watches as the girl folds her arms, clearing her throat before volunteering. "I'd like to help."

Lizzie reaches down and grasps Lilah's wrist, yanking her up from her chair. "Lilah's coming too," she pipes up. "She's been on bed rest long enough."

"I'm so glad I have you to decide that for me," she scowls at the younger blonde.

Lizzie grins, tapping her sisters cheek. "Get dressed, sis. We're going to school."

•••

Lilah shuffles off of the bus with her head down, her hands shoved into the pockets of her coat. She didn't particularly love the idea of going to a new school, even if it was just for a day.

"You look nervous, pest," Hope comments from behind her, brushing past her as she gets off the bus. The Mikaelson stands next to the blonde, a non chalant expression gracing her face. "You okay?"