Chapter one

B R U N O

"Alright, Cee-Lo, that was great, man.'' I said. ''Take five for today, we'll get back to it next week.''

It was a saturday afternoon when Phil, Ari and I were producing our second artist of the day and the fifth artist of the week.

''It's cool,'' he checked his watch. ''I got somewhere to go to anyway, so we'll definitely catch up next week. I'm down for that."

Cee-Lo dapped us goodbye. He headed out of the wrong exit back door of the studio booth.

"Other way, my man." I said.

Phil went through the list of artists we had left to hear. It was crazy how much money we were making in a matter of months. Many singers ranging from well-known artists to starting artists were willing to collaborate with us.

''Paris should be here soon." Phil said.

"Paris.'' I repeated. The name sounded awfully familiar.

''Yup, Paris should be here." Phil confirmed after checking the clippart. ''Wait until y'all hear this one, she's a real keeper."

I was sure I heard that name somewhere.

Hold up, my Paris? As Phil continued talking about her, the door to our studio booth unlocked. It was her. I had to remove my shades to get a clear view. She walked graciously before us and radiated in a simple maxi dress.

"Paris," I said.

Damn.

She went straight in the booth and placed the headphones over her head. Her soulful voice vibrated against the glass, her breathing was controlled, and her vocals were on point. I had to give her a standing ovation.

"You did it girl," Phil high fived her.

She smiled. Her smile dissolved as soon as her eyes met mine. Our stares were locked. Phil cleared his throat, "Bruno?"

I hastily shook my head from the trance and looked at Phil.

"Well? Aren't you gonna add anything? What did you think of the voice and song?"

Before I engaged in my stuttering, Ari as if on cue, came to my rescue and added, "We could work on the lyrics a bit. I'd have the perfect beat for it."

"Definitely work on the lyrics," I chidded in. "Vocals are phenomenal."

She nodded her head slowly in understanding.

Phil spoke, "Bruno, you should definitely be featuring this one."

Ari nodded in agreement. I looked at Paris for a sort of consent and she seemed more than okay with it.

"I don't see why not," I clasped my hands together. "Let's get workin!"

"Okay, let's focus on the lyrics?" Ari said. "Bruno, any suggestions on what we could do with this one?"

I read through the lyrics, tapping to an improvised rythm on my thigh, "The chorus is fine, just the second verse, maybe?" I handed the paper down to Phil.

He changed up the  few lines at the top of his head and jolted it down on a notebook. I went for the keyboard. I played a few notes and helped Phil out who was stuck midway through with finding the right words. I threw a few metaphorical lines as I tapped on the keynotes.

"Play that again, dude." Ari said as I improvised. "Yeah, that's it. That's it. You got it bro. Don't lose it. I'll go for the fender."

Once Ari strummed on my guitar, Paris, Phil and me engaged into the chorus. It was beautiful. Paris' tenor chained with my tenor vocals and Phil's alto vocals rocked us all into deep and a soulful dimension.

"I haven't sung like this in a hot while," Phil said.

She smiled, "I am so grateful that you gave me a chance Philly...and Bruno, you were...off the hook."

"I could say the same for you Paris," I said.

After rehearsal, I was leaning on the rail, smoking. Paris joined my side, unbothered by the tobacco intoxicating her air.

"I hate smokers and cigarettes. But you always seemed to pull it off," she said, her eyes focused on me but I was looking up the sky. "Bruno."

"Paris," I finally looked at her with a genuine smile. "How you been, girl.Clearly we got a lot to catch up on...damn, look at you glowing an' shit. How bout we grab dinner tonight?"

"Are you asking me out?" She asked dumbfoundedly.

I tucked my hands inside my pocket. "Yeah?"

She hesitated.

"What's wrong?" I raised a brow.

She shook her head, "I can't.''

She was fidgeting. My eyes travelled from her face and landed on her ring finger. I felt a thud to my stomach. I took her hand and observed the carved diamond ring that appeared extremely expensive, "Wow."

I gently dropped her hand to her curved hips. "Damn, Paris," I said, but felt a sharp pain in my chest when I did.

P A R I S

"Y'all ready to record this track?" Phil asked.

I nodded my head while Bruno was too busy scrolling down his twitter newsfeed.

"Ayo Brunz?" Phil called

He looked up, "What up?"

"Do we record it today or nah?"

"I guess," he answered dryly.

"Aye man, what's with you?" Ari noticed. "You okay?"

"Maybe we should record it another time," I suggested.

" You were fine just a few minutes ago. Now all of a sudden you got the blues,"

"I said I'll do it," he replied sternly.

"Hey, who the hell you raisin your voice at? What's with this guy?" Phil said.

"Phil chill man," Ari said.

"I am chill," clearly he wasn't. "We got a beautiful lady over here waiting for her dream to come true and Bruno's here acting like a lil bitch. " Phil said.

"It's okay Phil, let's reschedule for next  week." I said.

Bruno stood up, "Come on Paris, let's do it."

"Are you sure?" I asked.

He didn't reply. He headed for the booth and I followed his lead. Phil raised his thumb up. I began with a hum and he joined in.

Our eyes were locked, emphasizing the emotions behind each lyric. It felt so magical, almost like the old times.

"Wow, you two were wonderful," Ari said when we came out of the booth.

I smiled to Bruno who threw a cunning wink.

''Well since it's lookin like we all happy, I guess it's time me and my girl here spit the news," Phil said.

I shot Phil a look, "Yeah?"

''You guys know about my engagement, but y'all don't know the woman I am engaged to." Phil started.

"That's because you never told us," Ari. "You wanted to keep it as a surprise."

"Surprise," i said softly and waved my hands.

"Philip Lawrence!!" Ari exclaimed.

"She's the one?" I said dumbfoundedly.

"She' the one."

Bruno clenched his jaw. I looked right at him but quickly back at Phil.

Ari and I gave him a brotherly hug.

"Sorry for bitching at you, man," Phil said once we unlocked. "You're like my lil brother that I never had."

"Oh it's cool, it's cool man. I was being a lil party pooper."

Everything's cool I tried to convince myself but failed miserably.