Chapter Four: Myths and Legends

"Anything?" I asked Mom when she came out of Dad's study.

Even though Dad had said that everyone was supposed to help research, he had only meant the adults. Aside from a short lunch, the four adults had been holed up in Dad's study all afternoon, while I had been sitting on the couch with Stephen, Jane and Elias having a movie marathon. Now, the sun had set, we were finishing up our fourth movie and Mom was rubbing her temples which was never a good sign.

"No," she sighed. "Still nothing. Everything is either not real or too vague."

"Do you want some help?" I offered for the fifth time today. "I'm good at researching."

Mom smiled, but it was tired. "Thanks hon, but we got it." She kissed the top of my head as she disappeared into the kitchen.

Dad came out of the study at the same time Mom came back into the living room with a cup of tea. She was still rubbing her temple and Dad's hair was sticking up odd angles from him pulling at it.

"Louisa called back," Dad was saying to Mom, "she said she'll help."

"I knew she would," Mom smiled, "I'll swing by the library—"

"I'll go," I interjected, jumping up from the couch. Mom and Dad shared a look, a look I knew well. It was the "whose going to tell her no" look. "Please, I can't sit around and do nothing. Let me help."

"Okay," Mom said. "Thanks."

The library closed early on Saturdays, but Mom and Louisa, the woman in charge of the library, had been friends since they were in high school. They still stayed in touch and Louisa was used to an odd request, especially from a Crane or a Van Brunt. Mom never explicitly told Louisa the truth about our family legend, but we were fairly confident that Louisa figured it out on her own.

Louisa was waiting on the steps outside the library with two boxes by her feet. Louisa reminded me a lot of Aunt Jessie, but only in appearance. She had the same blond hair but Louisa's blue eyes were a darker shade of blue than Aunt Jessie's. Louisa was nothing like the quiet woman Aunt Jessie was, Louisa liked to talk. Ironic for a librarian who was supposed to spend most of her day creating a quiet environment.

"Tessa," Louisa smiled warmly, "and Ander perfect timing."

I turned to look over my shoulder to see Ander walking up the steps. He glanced at me, but didn't say anything. Not to me anyway.

"Louisa," Ander smiled. "Thank you so much for helping us."

"No problem," Louisa waved her hand in dismissal. "The boxes are here," she gestured to the two boxes at her feet. One box had "Crane" written on the side and "Van Brunt" was written on the other. "I pulled everything I thought would help with your research."

"Thanks, Louisa," I said. "We appreciate it."

"Of course, I'm always happy to help." She checked her phone. "I hate to do this, but I have to run. Please let both Betty," she turned to me, "and Abe," she turned to Ander, "know that if they need anything else I'm just a phone call away." Louisa hurried to her car, leaving me and Ander alone.

He shoved his hands in his pockets and scuffed his shoe against the stone. "Do you need help with your box?" he asked.

"I can carry a box, Abraham."

His cheek twitched and his eyes narrowed slightly, but then he was smiling that stupid smile again. The one I hated. "I know you can carry a box, Tessa. I was just trying to be nice."

"I didn't know a Van Brunt knew how to be nice," we said at the same time and Ander laughed.

"So predictable," he said.