Chapter Five: New Alliances

"I can't believe we got a table," Amanda said, pushing in her chair. "It's always packed for brunch Halloween weekend."

We were getting brunch at our favorite spot. It was a full house with full tables and families waiting around outside the restaurant. We almost turned around when we had to circle the parking lot four times to find a spot, but we figured we'd give it a shot. We were both glad we did as we snagged one of our favorite tables near the floor to ceiling windows.

"We were lucky," I shrugged. "It helped that it's only the two of us."

A waiter took our drink orders, coffee for Amanda and tea for me, and then we went through the buffet. We each returned to the table with a full plate and a bowl of fruit. Shortly after we sat down, the waiter brought our drinks.

"So," Amanda speared a piece of cantaloupe, "what's been going on with you?"

"I'd much rather hear about Jenna's party." I took a huge bite of my chocolate chip pancake, hoping she would take the bait. "You looked amazing as the Red Queen."

She stared at me, raising an eyebrow. "Fine," she smiled. "We can talk about me first, but you are not off the hook. I need to know what is going on with you and Ander."

"Nothing," I blushed and Amanda laughed. "Just tell me about the party."

"It was a lot of fun. Everyone loved our costumes." She rested her chin in her hand and sighed happily. "Especially Adam Stone."

"Oh yeah?" I smiled. "What did he say?"

"Well, he said I looked really pretty," she smiled. "We danced to a few songs and then he led me outside. There was a swing set and we sat on the swings for awhile. Just talking. One of his cousins has cancer, skin cancer. She's in remission right now, but it's too soon to tell."

"It sounds like things went well."

Amanda beamed and her cheeks were pink. "Well, we did kiss so..."

"No way," I squealed.

"We went to the movies yesterday and it went really well. He hasn't officially asked me out yet, but I have a good feeling. I'm meeting him after this to work on our homework together."

"I'm so happy for you. I know you like him."

"I do," she sighed happily. "Your turn. Tell me what is going on between you and Ander." I opened my mouth, but Amanda beat me to it. "And don't say nothing. I won't believe you."

"Fine," I sighed, "but it's not what you think."

"I'm thinking you two have a Romeo and Juliet thing going on."

I rolled my eyes. "Not at all."

"The feuding families. The forbidden love."

"We are not in love," I said, my cheeks on fire. "Besides, are you saying we are both going to die at the end?"

"Obviously not, but you have to admit your stories are very similar."

"Ander and I are only hanging out because we have a common goal right now."

"And what might that be?" Amanda arched an eyebrow. "Sucking face?"

"No!" I said much too loudly and Amanda laughed. People were staring which didn't help. I was sure I was completely red. "We are not doing anything like that. Nothing romantic at all."

"Do you want to do something like that with him?" She waggled her eyebrows at me.

"He's a Van Brunt," I said, but that excuse fell flat, even to my ears. "He's also a jerk."