Chapter 1- The Witching Competition

BOOM!!!

Coughing, three witches looked around the potions classroom. The whole room had been blacked out with smoke and ashes. 

' Oh no... not again! ' one of the witches groaned, the other two looked at each other and sighed.

' You're really going to get it from Miss Hardbroom, Mil. ' said one of the witches, turning to her friend.

Mildred Hubble coughed as she looked into Enid Nightshade's cauldron.

' Well, it was worth a try. I'm never going to be able to make a Youth Potion for Miss Cackle. ' Mildred said. Maud Spellbody put a hand onto Mildred's shoulder.

' You don't really have to give her a Youth Potion, Millie. ' she comforted. ' Maybe you could just give her something normal like... like... um... '

' Maybe you could get her a new plant! ' Enid said, giggling. ' I heard Miss Cackle has two plants she named Petula, a fly trap, and another weird plant she called Cordelia. Really crazy, am I right? '

' Not helpful, Enid. ' Maud said, then turning back to her friend. ' Maybe you could get her a simple bouquet of flowers, that would be normal and harmless. '

Mildred appreciated her friend's effort, but it only made her feel worse.

' Thanks, Maud but... I don't think it's going to work... guess I'll just have to be the only odd one out as usual... " Mildred Hubble. The witch from a non- magical family, the only one at Cackle's without a birthday gift for Miss Cackle ". But it's okay, I don't mind being the odd one out. '

' Mildred, that's not true. I'm pretty sure you already made Cackle happy numbers of times! Remember when you helped Miss Cackle get her job as Head Mistress back by proving that that petition is fake? And remember when you saved the whole school from Agatha? And then when Ethel made the most hideous mistake by pretending that Indigo's evil when she's not even real? All those were you, Mil. '

' Thanks Enid... maybe I could get a time out by cleaning this mess, don't want HB to find out... '

Maud and Enid stared, then nodded, walking out of the potions classroom. Mildred sighed. Just at that moment, a whole group of broomsticks flew in and gave a few brushing noises, Mildred assumed they wanted to say " hello ". These group of broomsticks were brought to life by Mildred when she wanted her own broomstick to sweep the floor for her the last time she made a mess in the potions classroom, but the spell then had spread to all broomsticks when she put it in the broomstick she'd, and not wanting to tell the whole story, let's just say in the end Mildred and the broomsticks became friends.

' You brooms! ' Mildred gasped excitedly. ' How did you get here? Well, I'm going to need your help just another time... '

The broomsticks' " leader " ( Mildred's own broomstick ) rustled, agreeing. It then turned to the other broomsticks and the next moment, rustling noises filled the classroom to the brim. Mildred felt proud and grateful to have such a friendly and helpful broomstick. 

An voice came out of the blue magically throughout the whole school. The voice... Mildred had no trouble recognising it.

' What is it now...? ' Mildred mumbled after hearing the announcement. The broomsticks rustled in a hurry.

' No, no... it's okay. Go ahead now. Run along. '

The broomsticks faced each other and immediately glided away in one, swift movement.

Chattering noises greeted Mildred as she entered the Great Hall. Miss Cackle and the staff were seated at the front as Miss Hardbroom stepped up slowly in her usual, sloth- y, way.

' Silence! ' she boomed and the whole Hall fell silent. Miss Cackle arose from her seat and walked up as Miss Hardbroom went back to her seat.

' Seriously, Hecate. Don't me so harsh. ' Miss Drill, who sat next to her, mumbled.

' Now, I have an announcement to make. ' Miss Cackle announced. ' The Great Wizard has set up a competition where all schools will compete in. Whoever wins, will be given the permission to work for the Magic Council. But don't worry, it's no important, formal work, probably some normal, suitable jobs for you. Now, remember, getting a job at the Magic Council... '

' Maybe we could get a job there! ' Felicity Foxglove turned to a witch seated next to her.

' " We "? I don't think I'll even need any one of your useless help! ' Ethel Hallow scoffed. ' I'm applying a job there. Alone. Then Mum will finally notice me! She'll see how much of a great witch I am, she can at least take a break from Esme and turn to me! '

Felicity smiled, seeming to agree, but when Ethel looked back to the front, her smile faded a bit.

After the assembly, the students were talking all about the Witching Competition while heading to their classrooms. Mildred, Maud and Enid headed for Chanting.

' Hey, Mil. You should try and win the Competition! Just try and get Miss Cackle to choose you to represent the school, then you'll be a legend! ' Enid said happily as they settled down at their desks.

' I don't know, Enid. I'm not of a great witch as you think, besides, I've already got my own back by the Hall, remember? ' 

' Oh yeah... right... '

Mildred and Maud sighed.