Chapter 6- The Power of Friendship

As Mildred stepped into the potions classroom, the witches all chanted, ' Mildred! Mildred! Mildred! Mildred! '...

Ethel Hallow scowled at Mildred.

' It's okay, Ethel. You may have many other chances to impress your Mum! ' Felicity said sarcastically, ending with a giggle as she rushed over to join the chant. Ethel sighed, sinking down onto her seat. 

Everyone rushed back to their seats as Miss Hardbroom, Miss Cackle and Miss Drill entered. Mildred, Maud and Enid happily settled down in their seats.

' Congratulations, Millie! ' Maud whispered her final congrats before falling silent as Miss Hardbroom gave a signal.

' We all know, as you just saw, that Mildred Hubble had won the Witching Competition. Now, the Great Wizard will arrive, in just a moment, but any time now, to read the oath of applying a job at the Magic Council. ' Miss Cackle said proudly. A few of the girls at the back swooned and fell of their seats. Mildred turned around, raising an eyebrow, wondering why they did such an awkward thing in such an awkward moment. Miss Cackle shook her head slowly, chuckling. Miss Hardbroom muttered a few unpleasant words under her breath.

The Great Wizard arrived out of nowhere, once again, and looked around. The girls at the second- back row immediately stood up and tried to wake the fainted girls at the back. 

' I see some are... too admired. ' the Great Wizard grunted as he watched the girls groan, sitting clumsily back onto their seats. One of the girls at the corner was so dizzy from fainting that she fell off her seat back onto the floor.

' Anyways, as promised, ' the Great Wizard continued, ' I shall announce that Mildred Hubble... unexpectedly from a non- witching family ( Miss Cackled winced )... is to apply for a job at the Magic Council, as well as being the first young witch to actually work there... ' he paused and muttered, smiling a little, ' unbelievable. '

The witches cheered as Mildred awkwardly stood up and walked slowly, parking in front of the Great Wizard.

' I shall now say the oath. '

The girls stood up, lowering their heads in honour of the oath, so did the staff.

Mildred looked around, feeling half proud half shy. The Great Wizard cleared his throat, and read the oath out loud:

Mildred Hubble, will you take full responsibility to accept this job at the Magic Council...

' I can't believe this is happening... ' Ethel muttered.

' I feel so proud of Mildred! ' Enid squealed softly.

' Shh! Listen! ' Maud shushed as she turned back down.

The Magic Council is very strict, especially in every witch's education.

Do you take the responsibility to make sure they have an education of responsibility, cooperation, skill, courage, and most important of all...

Mildred looked up from the scroll to the Great Wizard.

... confidence?

Mildred thought. The witches and staff raised their heads and looked at Mildred, some were encouraging for her to accept, others felt sad and knew they would miss her if she had accepted. And one of those, were Maud and Enid.

They both sighed. Mildred turned to look at them. They gave a nod, smiling encouragingly. Mildred turned back, facing the Great Wizard.

' Well? ' he said. ' Do you accept? '

Mildred was just about to say " yes " when...

' I- I'm sorry... Y- Your Greatness. Your offer is really generous but... I'd rather stay here. '

A murmur arose from the crowd of witches behind her. Maud and Enid looked at each other and mouthed, " What is she doing? ".

' Yes... I'd rather stay here. ' Mildred repeated. ' I already have all I need. '

She stepped back towards her cauldron and with one flick, magical animals, such as rabbits, foxes, eagles, horses, appeared and raced around gracefully.

' I have magic... '

She picked up Tabby who had been in her bag the whole time.

' ... I've got Tabby... '

She scratched him behind the ears and placed him back down.

' ... I've got potions... '

She looked at the staff.

' The best teachers... the best Headmistress... '

Miss Cackle was deeply moved. And finally, Mildred turned to Maud and Enid.

' ... the best friends. '

The Great Wizard grunted.

' I don't need the job, Your Greatness. I- I already have what I need here. Actually, it's more than I need. It's better, every term, every year, my skills improve, my magic grows stronger, and my knowledge grows. '

' Hmm... ' the Great Wizard said. ' Very well, Mildred Hubble. I'll let you stay, maybe I could get the second- best competitor to apply for the job... '

Mildred chuckled as Maud and Enid rushed forward and the three hugged each other tightly.

' You may stay with your... friends. ' the Great Wizard added, turning towards Mildred and then with a snap, he vanished.

' I was expecting you to accept. ' Enid said. ' But I think the other way round is much better! '

The three laughed again and fell back into the hug.

' No one can beat the power of friendship. ' Mildred said.

The rest of the day was probably one of the best days Mildred has ever had. But there is a question she may ask:

Can someone actually beat your power of friendship?

And there's also a cunning question from Maud and Enid ( Maud still feels a little weird about this situation ):

Will Mildred ever find out that they put a Talent Potion on Tabby so that she could win without telling her?