Chapter 4- Real Cheating

That time when Mildred ruined her moment, was when she had failed to train herself. Much as she tried as hard as a tiny ant trying to push a whole lump of hard bread, she still failed. Maud and Enid were trying just as hard to help.

' Enid... pacing up and down isn't going to help. ' Maud sighed. The two were in Maud's room, thinking very hard how to help Mildred.

' But people always do that when they're waiting, thinking or have nothing to do! ' Enid stopped and turned to face Maud. Maud sighed again.

' Wait! I have an idea! '

' Please don't tell me Talent Potion... ' Maud groaned.

' A Talent Potion! ' Enid said proudly a while later when they were in her room. Maud sighed as Enid excitedly hoped over to Stormy, her cat.

' You just make him drink it... '

Enid clicked her tongue.

' Come! '

Stormy obeyed and sat down next to Enid.

' ... the potion has a very attractive smell towards cats. You have to be very careful, just to make sure no other cat senses it... '

Enid let a few drops fall into Stormy's bowl of milk.

' And just wait and see! '

After Stormy drank it, Enid stood up.

' Stormy, help me get my comb over there. ' Enid ordered as she pointed at her desk. Stormy meowed, quickly heading eagerly towards the comb that lay on top of a stack of books. Stormy leaped on to the chair and took the comb, then leaping back down and dropping it by Enid's foot.

' See? Exceptionally ordinary, isn't it? ' Enid said. Maud sighed.

' Enid, there are times we cheated, but for very, very, very valuable reasons. But this... this is just for some royal job at the Magic Council. It's real cheating. '

' But it's the only way Mildred could win if Tabby never learns. You want her to win, right? You want her to be happy? '

Maud sighed one, last time and looked at the potion. She nodded.

Knowing Mildred was outside in the field with Miss Drill, Maud and Enid tiptoed up to Mildred's room.

' Remember, a few drops only, just use... maybe three. If you pour too much Tabby may go haywire. ' Enid warned. Maud nodded and gulped, she stepped lightly into Mildred's room and poured milk into Tabby's bowl. She turned turned to Enid, who gave a nod, and turned back. Cautiously opening the cap, Maud slowly tilted the bottle until three, pure drops of the potion dripped into the milk. She looked at Enid unbelievably. Enid shrugged and smiled.

Mildred stumped up the stairs into her room hours later, looking all red in the face, sweat streaming down like a rushing river. She plopped into bed and sighed, exhausted. Tabby trooped in, meowing as he sat in front of the bowl of milk. Mildred sighed.

' Go ahead, ' she mumbled. Tabby then immediately dropped his head and stuck out his rough tongue to scoop up the milk thirstily.