Chapter 2- Chosen

The next few days Mildred had been practicing for the competition...

How, you ask? How did she all of a sudden get an urge to train herself? Well, a few days back, this happened...

Mildred, Maud and Enid were in Potions class. The class had been told to brew a Transfiguration Potion, but not just any Transfiguration Potion, but one that would let you transform into whatever animal you like, whenever you want. You could change shape every now and then.

Ethel Hallow had finished and her potion had succeeded, as usual. She transformed into a fox and leaped around, then transforming into an eagle, then into a cat, then into a rat, bat, hedgehog, horse, cow, snake, wolf, dog etc etc etc...

Everyone watched in awe. Miss Hardbroom looked impressed, Mildred looked as though she could fall off her seat, snoozing, at any moment, Maud sighed and shook her head slowly, Enid gave a great look of disgust, Felicity Foxglove smiled admiringly...

' Impressive, Ethel Hallow... ' Miss Hardbroom spoke slowly as Ethel leaped back onto her seat, back as a human.

' Thank you, Miss Hardbroom. You could always count on me. ' Ethel said proudly and gave a nod. 

' " Thank you Miss Hardbroom. You could always count on me ". ' Mildred muttered in an Ethel inspiration. Enid giggled, Maud smiled briefly as she finished mixing her potion. Letting out a great gulp, she drank the potion and before Mildred could even say " Tabby ", Maud was gone. Instead, in Maud's place, sat a tiny mouse, nibbling on the chair, then looking up.

' Maud...? ' Mildred said as she scooped herself over to Maud's seat. ' Is that you? '

The mouse then swiftly transformed into a horse and galloped around cautiously. 

' Wow! Maud you did it! ' Mildred exclaimed as she watched her horse friend which was now a dolphin swimming gracefully. Everyone chattered as they turned away from Ethel, whom they had been admiring for the past few minutes, and watched Maud transform back. 

' Maud you were amazing! ' Mildred exclaimed again as she threw her arms over her friend. Maud laughed along with her. 

' Perhaps maybe you could show your admiration to Miss Spellbody by taking your turn, Mildred Hubble. ' Miss Hardbroom said in a dark, cold tone. 

Mildred and Maud broke apart and stared at Miss Hardbroom.

' Good luck, Millie. ' Maud whispered as she settled back down on to her seat. Mildred sighed anxiously.

Mixing her potion, Mildred lifted a spoonful of her potion and drank it. But Mildred had forgotten to add bee's wing, so...

' Blowing up the potions lab for the second time... you have really got to try and make sure you mix your potions properly, Mildred! ' Miss Cackle sighed, her eyes fixed on a black- faced Mildred who sighed, embarrassed. But a knock had saved her.

' Come in. '

Miss Cackle flicked her hand and the door opened and Maud entered. Mildred sighed a soft, ' Thanks Maud. ' before turning back to Miss Cackle.

' Um... Miss Cackle...? P- please don't blame Mildred. S- she wasn't the only one. Well, during break the other day, Mildred wanted to brew special potion for you, you see... and, uh... '

Mildred half felt relieved and grateful for Maud, but the other half her felt a bit awkward having her plans to make a birthday gift for Miss Cackle get shared straight to Miss Cackle herself, weeks before her birthday. That thought forced Mildred to sigh.

' Well, thank you for your support, Maud. But as you should know Mildred is the main one responsible for this. Miss Hardbroom had to clean the potions lab twice. '

Maud was out of words, she had no choice but to nod. Then, she had a thought just as she turned away. Turning back, she opened her mouth to speak.

' Anything else, Maud? ' Miss Cackle asked Maud who had her mouth open for quite a while.

' Um, but what about Ethel, Miss Cackle? '

' Here we go... ' Mildred sighed.

' Ethel nearly destroyed the whole school just because of a false wish she made to the wishing star. Shouldn't Ethel have a punishment too? She didn't have any punishment yet. '

' It's not helping for you to change the subject, I'm afraid... so I have decided to be kind to you, Mildred. You are lucky you've been the one saving the school multiple times... I'm choosing you to represent the school for the Witching Competition. It is held in four weeks time, train hard! '

Mildred's face fell. Maud gaped at Mildred.

' Y- yes, Miss Cackle... ' Mildred nodded a few times before exiting the office with Maud. 

As they closed the door outside, Maud and Mildred looked at each other and simply screamed, not bothering about the fact that Miss Cackle was listening to their screams outside her very own office. She shook her head slowly and took a sip of coffee, all of a sudden looking as though she was treating the two girls' screaming as calming jazz music.