1 - Scent Me

How did it feel to be normal?

Namjoon couldn't remember when was the last time he felt like he belonged in anything. He couldn't remember what it felt like to be included. Sure, everyone around him tried their best to make him feel like he had no condition, but it was hard to notice it. And Namjoon understood, he truly did.

It was not always like this. It never was.

He was born from an omega and an alpha. His dad was the typical omega, nurturing and all soft smiles and passionate kisses on the forehead, while his mom was domineering and authoritative gazes and tough love, yet gave the best comforting hugs. Their contrasting personalities complemented them so well.

Namjoon was delivered normally as a baby. He came to this world healthy and bouncing. He was a loud crier too, the doctors were even astonished at his effect on everyone inside the room. He already emitted a scent albeit it was not his time to present yet. His dad said that all of them were baffled to smell such a strong scent from a newborn, it never happened to them before. When Namjoon asked what he smelled like, his dad couldn't answer him. "I don't remember. It was such a long time ago."

The funny thing was, the scent completely dissipated after almost a minute, no longer lingering in the air, not even on Namjoon. As if the scent wafted to them for a short moment before never coming back ever again. It's almost as if it didn't even happen.

His childhood was as normal as it could be. He grew up to be full of warmth. A playful kid who liked to frolic under the summer sun. He had friends, so many of them. He especially liked hanging out with his friend Hoseok every day and would make flower crowns for each other. They'd end up making flower crowns until sundown.

He liked the smell of flowers adorning his hair as he daydreamed with fluttering eyes that he'd wait for his mate under the oak tree. He'd welcome them with open arms and give them a small peck on the kiss. Not on the lips though, he didn't want to get pregnant just yet. At least that's what he used to believe.   His days were always serene, quiet, full of giggles and anticipation for the next day to arrive. Just thinking about it never failed to make him squeal and hit Hoseok's arm lightly.

Sigh... His soulmate. His destiny. He liked to wonder what his mate was doing at that very moment. He wanted to know if his mate would like flowers or if his mate would share their hate towards mint choco ice cream with him.

Everything was as dreamy as it should be in his childhood years, not until his prepubescent years. Almost all of his friends were starting to undergo change. Their fragile little bodies started to develop, some kids grew stronger, even others were showing subtle feral instincts; others becoming more feminine and carrying the characteristics of the strength of an omega. However... Namjoon had to see other people go through with that without experiencing it himself. He asked his mom about this, and she simply said that everyone was different. Everyone had their own pace. And Namjoon believed her. He was satisfied with his mom's answer. So he gave it another year. Just to see if he started to change this time.

But it wasn't that easy. Hoseok presented first. He was an alpha. They were hanging out under the oak tree as usual, when Hoseok leaped and jumped on him out of the blue. He was shaking and breathing heavily. The strong smell of burned coconut and cotton candy overwhelmed him. Namjoon saw the look of aggression in his orbs completely different from his usual smiling set of eyes.

He didn't look like He wanted to hurt him though. Luckily for him, he didn't exude any scent, so Hoseok didn't continue to pounce on him. Turned out he was just trying to get his attention, but it got completely out of his hands. He had little control over himself. Namjoon got Hoseok help. In the process, Namjoon was prohibited to meet him for a week until his pheromones would stabilize and would stop him from going berserk. Some said Namjoon was fortunate to have not presented yet, or Hoseok would have possibly hurt him. Namjoon didn't believe Hoseok could ever do that to him.