Chapter 8

Time passed, minutes turned into hours.

Dan had fallen asleep on Chris’ lap. Pj’s hand slips gently onto Chris’s hand. With fear in their eyes, the focus on the clock that hangs above the staff’s counter. Pj is twisting a tissue between his thumb and index finger, unaware of the tiny fragments, which are falling onto the floor.

A senior doctor; dressed in green hospital scrubs, walks through the door, with hair slightly swept over his face, it was hard to tell his expression. He approached the hard plastic chairs where they had been sitting.

“Are you here for Philip Lester?” the doctor asked in a soft voice, which was not suited to the way he looked.  

Dan sat up immediately. It was as if the name itself sent alarm bells through Dan, causing him to wake up. His eyes, still red from crying; he looked dazed.

“We did everything we could” he spoke.

“Do you mean to. . . “Dan quickly spoke. Shaking his head side to side vigorously. He stood up.

“No, No!” he looked around the room. It was as if his eyes were following a fly, which were flapping in his face.

“Please, I need you to calm down;” the doctor’s voice, raised slightly.

“He can’t be gone, I love him, and, he. . . . “ tears filled Dan’s eyes.

Looking at Dan, who was hysterical, the doctor spoke, “he is not gone, he is alive”

“He did that because of me, and it is all my fault that he is gone and. . . “

“DAN!” Chris took hold of Dan’s shoulders

“Stop! Dan listen it is ok”.

Dan wriggled, trying to remove himself from Chris’ grip.

Pj walked closer to Dan, placing both of his strong hands either side of Dan’s face while he fidgeted.

“Dan, Dan!” he exclaimed.

Pj stared intently into Dan’s dark brown eyes.

“Dan, Phil is alive”.

With tears filling his eyes again, he clutched onto Pj. Pj peered down at Dan before looking at Chris. He stepped in closer to Dan, hugging him from behind. He looked at Pj’s lips before staring into his eyes, and whispering I love you.

The doctor cleared his throat, trying to be inconspicuous about getting attention.

“He is still very weak; it may be quite a few hours before he wakes up”. By this stage, Dan had calmed down.

“Go home, get some sleep, you’re no good to Phil sick”.

“No, please. I want to be with him when he wakes up, please,” Dan pleaded.

“Well,” the doctor hesitated. “Usually I would not allow this, but because of the current circumstance I will”.  

Dan leaped at the doctor hugging him, causing the doctor to be confused for a few seconds.

“But only one of you can stay, and if you interfere with the medical staff or their jobs, you will be sent home”.

“Phil means the world to me! I would never want to cause him harm” Dan smiled slightly.

“Say goodbye to your friends and I will take you to his room”.

With that, Dan turned to Pj and Chris. Both of them smiled. Pj rested his hand on Dan’s head, ruffling his hair.  

“If you need us, call us, you know our numbers” Chris smiled.

Stepping back, he waved goodbye and turned to the doctor nodding.

They walked down a long corridor before taking a few turns. Dan hated the hospital. It was so sterile, and the plain coloured walls made him extra anxious. They arrived outside the door. Dan placed his hand on the handle and took a deep breath.

“Dan” the doctor spoke, gaining Dan’s attention.

“I should warn you, it is not a nice sight.”

Dan looked down frowning.

“If you cannot handle it, please let me know right away”

He looked at the doctor before nodding, and then turned back to the door.

With one final breath, he opened the door. . . 

_________________________________________________________________

As requested, here is the latest chapter. This was never a story I had intended to continue, but since you all seem to enjoy it, I just may.

Be sure to leave a comment if you like and let me know if you want me to continue.

Happy reading!