Chapter 8

Warnings: swearing, fire, and general chaos

~~~~~~

Three months of planning later, servants scurried around the property in preparation for the ceremony the next day. A glass dome had been built in the center of the property to house it.

Tam and Linh had arrived soon after they had their first meeting, luckily Tam and Fitz weren't as lovey-dovey in real life as they were in their letters. However, Marella and Linh very much made up for it. The moment they met the guard and the princess had a connection, the sweet talk was almost too much to bear.

In fact, all of them had grown quite close over the past months. Who knew low-level treason could bring people together so.

Of course, not nearly as close as he'd like with a certain person, but closer for sure. Every week they met back up at the library to work out bumps in their plan, clean up the absurd amount of paper Keefe used in drawing out his first plan, or just sit and talk. Today would be their last before the big day.

Keefe watched over Dex's shoulder as he made his final tinkers on the device he had been working on.

"How's it looking Techmaster?"

"Eh, having more metal makes everything easier but...it's one use only, so I can't test it. We just have to hope for the best."

"Well, I have faith in you. Your genius brain could make anything."

Dex rolled his eyes. Keefe wanted to subtly touch him to see if his blatant flirting had been noticed, but it felt wrong to. He had been stuck in the dark for the last 3 months.

Everyone else ran their lines around the room. Everyone besides Sophie who, as typical of her, looked half way sick in the corner.

Keefe sat down next to her on the floor.

"Alright, what's up Foster, have you acquired a stomach bug?"

She giggled. "No...it's just..." She sighed. "It feels wrong, y'know? I mean...I don't want to hurt anybody."

"You're really doing the opposite of hurting people though, I mean you're making them happy."

"Not happy, hysterical. Yeah it can be happy, but not in the way we're doing it. Trust me, it's not fun to watch."

Keefe thought for a moment.

"Hey...your parents have that griffin, right?"

~*~

The sound of a wedding march echoed through the castle lawn as Sophie was led down the isle by her father. Keefe guessed she looked quite lovely in her dress, Biana, who stood as her maid of honor, was looking at her more like a husband would than him. He stood frozen at the alter, Fitz beside him as his best man and everyone else interspersed within the crowd for optimal dramatic effect.

Sophie reached him at long last. Surprisingly enough, she didn't look sickly this time. Her face steeled with determination gave him confidence.

The guy marrying them together was one of Cassius' officials. Keefe didn't bother to remember most names anymore, but this one was a...Moland? Noland? Something like that.

Everyone winced in unison as the man started talking, Keefe's ears began to ring a bit at the volume.

"Lords and Ladies, we are gathered here today to celebrate the joyous union of our young Prince Keefe Sencen and the lovely Miss Sophie Foster-Ruewen."

Keefe only realized he was fidgeting when Fitz subtly reached out and held his hand down from where it had been tapping on his leg.

"We are honored to be joined by so many friends and family. The Goom and Bride are overjoyed you all could be here to participate in this most important occasion.