viii. THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

Rivendell is a place of wisdom and knowledge, a domain to enhance one's mind rather than one's battle skills. She's not even completely sure if fighting is even permitted on these grounds. But a warrior must hone their craft in any setting. And besides, Diana has never skipped her training before.

There was an open patch of grass right outside the house that they had seen in passing while being escorted to their chambers. It's a perfect spot for training, out of the way but still visible to anyone who walks under the walkway canopy connecting one end of the house to another hall.

Artemis, Venelia, and Niobe each take turns sparring with Diana in one-on-one combat. Having taken the time to sharpen the blade with a whetstone while lounging in the balcony of her chambers, Diana wields the Nazgûl Killer in her right hand and the durable shield she stole from the Amazonian artillery in her left.

The Amazons never held back when it came to close combat training with Diana. For some reason, however, today feels more brutal than usual. The force behind each punch or kick feels personal, seeking to hurt or bruise in some way. Their remarks are harsher today than ever before.

After some time of switching sparring partners, Diana faces Artemis and the wrath of her axe for the third time today. Niobe and Venelia stand on the sidelines, far away enough to not be hurt but close enough to converse with Diana as she dodges and retaliates at Artemis' attack. They both stick the blunt ends of their spears into the ground as they watch.

Diana stumbles back when Artemis lunges forward, creating a crater in the grass with her heel.

"Don't drag your feet!" Niobe yells at her. "Move around to keep the sunlight out of your eyes. Otherwise it will blind you and give your opponent the upper hand."

Realizing which direction the sun is rising, Diana feigns an attack to push Artemis out of the shade of the walkway canopy. With the sun blazing in her eyes, Artemis squints her eyes against the harsh light. Adjusting to this new inhibition, Artemis goes on the offensive. She strikes down with her axe at different angles, with Diana blocking each one with her shield.

"Stop anticipating your opponent's next move," Venelia adds, "In the moment, one doesn't have enough time to react at full speed." Diana follows her instructions, waiting for an opening to appear. "Focus instead on limiting your opponent's options for an attack."

An opening appears, and Diana takes it, parrying Artemis' axe with her sword. It redirects the attack. She pushes Artemis' axe away, gaining the upper hand. She switches to offense in a matter of seconds.

But even this, Diana cannot do right in their eyes.

"Keep with the rhythm! Don't forget weight distribution and footwork!"

Diana follows their instructions. They instruct even further.

"Control the landscape!"

"Remember the center lines!"

"Look for the different angles of attack!"

"Ugh!" Diana shoved her shield, sending the axe flying out of Artemis' hand. She turns to the two onlookers with arms up in despair, "I know all of these things, Niobe! Venelia! These are the basics that Antiope taught me herself. Why are you teaching me the basics?"

"Then stop doing them wrong, and start doing them properly." Artemis grumbles behind her as she goes to pick up her axe, "Just because the melee environment has changed does not mean you have to."

Diana looks at Artemis over her shoulder, then back to Niobe and Venelia. None of them meet her eyes. She is starting to understand. She stabs her sword into the ground to stand on its own, and hooks her shield back onto her back rig.