Preface

I had always wondered how scared and alone my mother must have felt when she stood in front of her killers

I had always wondered how scared and alone my mother must have felt when she stood in front of her killers. How much of an immense pain she must have endured until her capturer finally put her out of misery. But what I'd never given much thought to was how I would feel if someone who was supposed to love me, protect me, even cherished me would turn out the one who sauntered forward to kill me.

Yes, just like my mother didn't.

A choked sob left me as I pumped my legs faster, harder. Leaves and branches kept swatting at me with their hungry hands but I didn't stop even when blood trickled out of the wounds they'd caused on my bare skin. The voice behind me boomed in the empty forest sounding deep and distorted as it moved wrapping itself around me, taunting me, teasing me, and God knew laughing at my dreadful state.

My vision was a blurry mess, and no matter how much I kept wiping at my eyes, fresh tears immediately took place of the last one. And it turned out even fate wasn't on my side as the heavy canopy of leaves withhold almost all the light from the moon above causing me to stumble a numerous times. Dirt already marred my hands, smeared along my face, my clothes and the rest of my body but it hardly mattered anymore.

Fear settled deep in my bones when I heard footsteps of my chaser grew closer and that was when I made the mistake of moving my head to see the approaching figure. It made my foot caught on a root and my body propelled forward from the force. Something snapped around my arm and I ended up screaming out in pain, giving my assailant an awful telling clue of my whereabout.

I could see him coming for me, green eyes solely trained on my teary ones. "Please...", I pleaded, words hardly above a whisper.

He slowed before completely stopping a foot away from me. I scrambled back in hurry, heels digging into the hard terrain, fingers sinking into the mud in a futile attempt to move away. But both my chaser and I knew there was no way for me to escape.

A slow-satisfied grin spread across his face as he knelt down to my eye level. "I promised to never leave your side, didn't I?", he said.

Tears blurred my vision even more as his words hit straight in my heart yet the nonchalant grin on his lips stayed in place as if he was enjoying my pitiful state. His warm hand raised gently to stroke the side of my face and in return, I could only speak a few words.

"Don't!", I cried. "Please...please don't hurt me, dad", the words broke when I forced it out.

And wiping the fallen tears away, my father only trod over to kill me.