The Poet: Chapter Two

It had been 30 guard cycles or so when the King and his Knight came into the room. They looked the most alive as they had in a while, the guards having gone silent. The head guard dismissed all guards from the dungeons, before pulling out the keys, unlocking the cell. You had been listening to the guards, they have been speaking of the death of King David, and how they were planning a rebellion with those loyal to the old King, for this king, King Hanne, was not worthy without King David here, to oversee the courtship of his soon to be wife, and the oversee wages and the kingdom. 

   You looked on with pure confusion at the unlocked cell door, the guard having taken off their helmet, and the King having walked in. 'They look familiar' you had thought before ignoring it, instead opting for doubt, and mistrust, as seemed necessary in this wretched place.

The king crouched down, offering you a well taken care of, yet calloused hand.

'You are released.' The king had said. 'We know who you are.... the young lad from times of old, the one who told us of gods and love.'

You had been shocked, the shock wearing off as you studied both the knight and the king's features, the memories coming back to you, your eyes wide, as you took a deep, stuttering breath.

'H-Hanne?' You had asked, in a rasping voice, broken from overuse, and weak in tambre. 

'Tis Hanne... But it seems we have a rebellion to plan for, Sire. And it doth not take much thought to think you are the one with inside knowledge. If you must know, it is I, as well. Your knight, valiantly known as Benjamin. It has been long since we have last seen or heard hide or tail from you.' The knight had said, his deep tan skin, and bright green eyes glowing in the torchlight, both the king and his knight looking more breathtaking in such a light. The king's voice lighter than you could have known, taking on a slightly more feminine twinge, the bell like ringing through the dungeon, and the knights voice being of gentle care, giving way to the warm pooling in your gut that you associated with the feeling of love, concern, and maternal beings.

'I can't believe it's either of you. Ya kno it's been.... ten winters since our last meaning, lads... indeed, the guards plan to rebel, with their meagre army. From what I've heard.... you had finally been let free, Hanne.' You were shocked at seeing both of your old friends, not knowing how to handle those that you thought had long forgotten your insignificant presence, unknowing of the guards listening outside of the dungeon, planning to hold you hostage when they had an opening, as they did not know you had magic.

''Tis important that we plan accordingly, My Queen.' Said the knight, you doth remembered as Benjamin, although the final word of that sentence hath shocked you, and you looked at Hanne carefully, with trepidation, wondering if you had heard that right. 

'What do ya mean queen? Last I 'membered, Hanne was a King.'

'...I never felt right.... father forced me upon this path, and you know it, don't you June? Doth you remember in times of old whereas you had told us the story of the two princesses? And you hadst been taken out of the garden for blaspheme. Thine was only twelve autumns at the time, Sire Benjamin and I having been both sixteen. I hath cried and cried over having to have been courting a lady from a far away land, but you told me thine had it, and from then I haven't had to court yet.'

Your eyes widened, the incredible detail in which the story was reminisced telling you that it was Hanne, that it was Benjamin, and that they really did not forget you.

'Ya.... identify as a lady, Hanne?'

'Indeed she does, she doth asked to be addressed as Hanni. It seems you've changed as well, Juniper.'

'Indeed I has. But methinks we should go to a more private place and away from prying ears, aye?'

'Indeed.' Replied both the kin- Queen, and Her knight, before the knight had picked you up, which you welcomed with open arms, both of them taking the long trek up to Hanni's chambers, both of them speaking, the haze in your head from being in the light having made it impossible to decipher of what subject they were speaking, although if you could have heard, it would have been about finding a healer for you. 

---------------------------------------------