Chapter Eight

It had barely been over a month since school had started and Peter was already feeling in over his head. He knew he wasn't the smartest person, but this was getting to be a little too much. All of his classes expected him to remember everything from his school books, which was impossible. It wasn't a surprise to Peter when he began to fall behind.

So when the Ravenclaws behind him snickered at his failed Wingardium Leviosa, Peter just hunched his shoulders and tried not to cry in front of the whole class. That would almost be worse and would definitely give them more ammunition.

Really, if it hadn't been for James, he would've let it continue to slide. Peter still marveled that someone like James had become friends with someone like him. Lost in his own thoughts, Peter only caught the tailend of James' rant.

"-deserve some payback!"

Peter frowned, slightly worried for his friend's sanity. "Who needs payback?"

"Those bloody Ravenclaws of course! They've been absolutely horrible to you, and the only reason they haven't been punished yet is because Flitwick's their head of house. It's up to us to get some revenge," James said with a slightly constipated look that Peter assumed was his determined face.

"Are you sure?" Peter hesitantly asked. If they got in trouble his mother would make him do all the chores during winter break. Sometimes she even included cleaning out Enid's bathroom. He repressed a shiver. Some things were better left unseen.

"Of course! The only question is how we get revenge." James went silent and Peter was too terrified to ask what he was thinking.

James must've seen something on Peter's face and grinned slightly. "Don't worry, we probably won't get expelled." This did not make Peter feel better in the slightest.

Peter decided to leave James' planning be and work on the classwork. By the end of class, he managed to levitate the feather a few inches off the desk. James praised him, but all Peter could hear were the Ravenclaws' snickers in the back of his head.

As they were walking to their next class, James stopped Peter and said earnestly, "Don't worry Peter. We'll make sure those bullies get what they deserve. They may be in Ravenclaw but they're off their rocker if they think I'm letting this slide. You're my friend, Peter."

Peter blushed. "Thank you James."

"Of course! What are friends for?"

After James saw the injustice of what he called Charms class, he vowed to himself and to Peter to get even with the Ravenclaws. So far, the plan had not moved very far. Remus had been easy to commit to the plan of revenge. Apparently he was used to being the victim at Muggle schools and didn't have many friends. James still didn't know why. Remus was smart and kind; what was there to bully? However, he still had yet to convince Sirius to join in with the rest of them.

After much thinking, James decided to confront Sirius at dinner. There was no way he would make a scene with everyone watching.

He let Sirius eat a few bites of bacon before he spoke. "Peter's got a bunch of Ravenclaws bullying him. I know you don't like when I annoy you but I'm not joking this time."

Siri looked up. "Peter. He's the pudgy boy in our dorm, correct?"

"Yes Sirius, he is. You'd think you would know this by now." He resisted the urge to sigh and bang his head on the dining table. Only half of it was accomplished, as Siri raised one of his perfectly groomed eyebrows at him when he let out the sigh.